wadayacallit?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

wadayacallit?

Post by flix »

Hi All,

Just finished a freehand, not intended to look like anything in particular. Enjoy:

--Michael
t-bear

Post by t-bear »

Michael....now I'm PO'd! I've trashet 4 blocks tryin to grt that bowl to shank treatment! LOL Overall, nice! I don't care for the look of the back of the bowl....too long. But hey, that's just my personal taste. I might have tapered the back to match the front....less of an "area" across the top that way. Like the stain.....and the way the finile on the stem matches the shape of the shank. nice pipe!
T-Bear
flix

Post by flix »

Thanks T-bear,

You know, this one should've taken me a long time, but it didn't. It just flowed out of my mind to briar (even though the briar is sucky). I understand your issues with it, they're mine also. I finished it quickly to get it off my plate so I could get more done. Working in 18 degree weather may have had some effect on the rush also!

Sorry you can't get the same treatment, shank to bowl. Sometimes God is with me on a pipe and this is one of them. I like it a lot, but, have to sell it. Baby needs new shoes...

--Michael
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi Michael,

sorry, this one look a little bit too "synthetically" to me... :oops: Nice stemwork and the shank is pretty too - but the bowl looks too much as "only disc grinded" to my eyes. The tobacco chamber is too much out of center in my mind and I would have tried to get the spots out of the briar or rusticate the stummel! I can't see a clear line: The top of the bowl seems to have an other angle than the bottom and both don't match to the shank... O. K., the stain is good and some nice grain is visible - but I don't believe, that you'll get much more for this pipe than the price of the material you used...

But buddy, that's only my mind and I think, it's better to get some critical than no comments... :wink:

Keep on going!
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
flix

Post by flix »

Heinz,

Thank you for the criticism. I appreciate your honesty!

--Michael
Walle

Post by Walle »

Hi Michael,

I think this pipe is gorgeous!

Cheerio!
Walle
flix

Post by flix »

Walle wrote:Hi Michael,

I think this pipe is gorgeous!

Cheerio!
Walle
Walle,

I appreciate your comment! It's encouraging to hear from some who like the shapes I do, but, I also learn from the few that hate them! ;)

I will keep creating pipes like this that come from my mind, hopefully intact, to the briar.

Thank you,

--Michael
ckr

Post by ckr »

Michael,

It could be that I am seeing too many of these but I do think you are refining the shape even though the previous pics are no longer available.

Considering the deep sway into the back of the bowl I don't feel the chamber is at all misaligned. From the top possibly if the square rear was the same as the bottom lines ... but hey it is your shape.

Center Left and Right - the curve from the shank to the top rear could have been smoother about 3/4's up it seems to tighten up too much. I think here the curve needs to be kept from the shank to the top.

Can't say I love the shape but it is kinda growing on me enough to want to see it in a nicely grained piece of wood.

Can relate, babys always need new shoes.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
flix

Post by flix »

ckr wrote:Michael,

It could be that I am seeing too many of these but I do think you are refining the shape even though the previous pics are no longer available.

Considering the deep sway into the back of the bowl I don't feel the chamber is at all misaligned. From the top possibly if the square rear was the same as the bottom lines ... but hey it is your shape.

Center Left and Right - the curve from the shank to the top rear could have been smoother about 3/4's up it seems to tighten up too much. I think here the curve needs to be kept from the shank to the top.

Can't say I love the shape but it is kinda growing on me enough to want to see it in a nicely grained piece of wood.

Can relate, babys always need new shoes.
Thanks for the critique, ckr,

I've looked at the pipe since you mentioned the curve from the shank to the top of the bowl in the rear. Don't think it would look better IMO. It seems that, at least in person, the curve is about right for the shape. It has good flow as far as I can see.

Of course, the briar sucks. It was a piece of junk from the start, but, it allowed me to relax and try to put something down without inhibition. That's one thing I'm very grateful to Tim West for: seconds that I could play with and learn from

Anyway, it's probably not going to be sold, it's destined to be gifted to someone close.

Thanks,

--Michael
ckr

Post by ckr »

Michael,

Could be the pics or could be my eyes, regardless the shape is very original. I think having the right block with the right grain to complement it the results could be something extra ordinary.

Harpoon away or wadayacallit.
Fumo in pace :pipe: