Bent freehand

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Leus

Bent freehand

Post by Leus »

Crappy pictures, I'm afraid. This pipe took me about 4 hours to make. I'm getting faster every day! 8)

Very balanced and nice colored. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool buddy. Kind of a shield shape. I like it alot. I'm wanting to say that it looks a little inorganic, if thats a term. But then I'm not sure a shield shape is suposed to be organic. All in all, nicely done bud.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Nice shape and nice grain. Wow, only 4 hours looks like a lot more.

Now, how about a shot for the front.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Only thing that disturbs me is the discrepancy between the shaping of the bowl, which looks quite individual and elaborate on one hand and the rather uninspired shank and stem on the other. Not that I am doing it any other way, but it looks like it was started from a standard kit where the wood was the only thing that was worked on (quite good to my eyes). The shank and stem look kind of just popping out straight of something else, so it does not really match the quality and feel of the work done on the bowl.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hello,

Very impressive observation Alex. I just glanced over the pix and then read the feedback. After reading yours, I looked again. You're right. That shank and stem look like they could just as easily go to a bent billiard and there would be no change required.

The shape is interesting. I wish some of the shots were closer. The back wall seems a little thin, but it may thicken out as it goes down.

I like the fairly well centered grain. I find that's something I try to accomplish more and more.

Sorry for the weird post, it's 3:50 AM here and I've been working on my pipes since about 6 or 7 PM. I finally got the courage up to drill out a bowl and draft hole according to some instructions I got at the Chicago show this year. It took a while but it could not be better centered; literally dead center, bottom of the bowl. I'm both tired and buzzed!
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
Leus

Post by Leus »

alexanderfrese wrote:Only thing that disturbs me is the discrepancy between the shaping of the bowl, which looks quite individual and elaborate on one hand and the rather uninspired shank and stem on the other. Not that I am doing it any other way, but it looks like it was started from a standard kit where the wood was the only thing that was worked on (quite good to my eyes). The shank and stem look kind of just popping out straight of something else, so it does not really match the quality and feel of the work done on the bowl.
Well, yes, you are completely right. The stem is premolded --not a kit thought. I didn't intended to go freehand on this one; I just wanted to make a pipe as quick as I could, then got carried away.

The back wall isn't that thin, it just looks weird in the picture.