Inspirations

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Inspirations

Post by Nick »

What kind of things inspires everyone? More often than not, my inspirations have come from the work of other, but I do have a few ideas of my own too.

I look forward to bringing spring-like attributes to a pipe or two. Flower buds, new leaves growing on a tree, thorns on a rose.

I recently visited Rolando Negotia's website and he had some wonderful stuff, as always. Pipes inspire from a blue whale, and nuts or seed pod. Very cool stuff.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Most of my pipes usually just flow out to my hands while I work. Most times I go into the shop with a goal for a particular pipe or group of pipes, and leave with something very different. Sometimes this is the result of flaws that need to be worked around, sometimes this is just because a particular shape doesn't "feel" right to me and I go and change it.

This blowfish that's my avatar this week - almost totally unplanned. It just kinda happened that way. I wanted to make a blowfish, but didn't have any specifics planned - I didn't want to constrain myself too much.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Gah! Total airball on the topic there. My *inspiration* is everything from other pipes to whatever is in my daily life. I don't purposefully draw on anything for inspiration, but it all is there to influence my work.

Sometimes I try to guide it, sometimes I don't.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

I have been doing some thinking on this while I wait on my Tools & Supplies to come in. I have been thinking a lot about "the good old day's." Now for all you young en's out there those day's were the 50's. At least for this old man.
The 50's were kind of in-between for the smokers of this world. Pipe smoking was fading out & people were smoking more & more cig's.
There was a gas station buy the house, were all the kid's would meet to gamble. Pulling Coke bottles for the one the farest away from Houston, another on what make of cars that came by. One that got the most play, was what kind of Pipe a person that came in smoked. You had to bet when they pull in. Not a pipe smoker the bet was off. Might hang out in the Mall & see if I can get some inspirations by the folks out spending money.

Nick wrote:
What kind of things inspires everyone?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Neat stories Jesse. As a child of the 80's I hardly ever saw anyone smoking a pipe. At least until college. My college advisor smoked pipes. I thought it was sooo cool. And though I tried to get him to chat about them, he never seemed interested. Kinda t'd me off honestly. Like I wasn't good enough or expirienced enough to talk pipes with him. He probaly thought I was just trying to gain favor with him. Couldn't see why though. Not like I ever had him in class.

Ohh well.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Like I imagine all carvers do, I constantly look at pipes either in person or online and of course that must be an influence on me. However, I have recently been looking a lot at contemporary ceramic art and vessels.

I like the car thing that random mentioned. The fatboy series came out of watching at a hot rod show on tv where they were building a widened 1940 ford. I remember thinking. Yeah! make em short and fat!
JMB

Post by JMB »

Not goofy at all, cool.We had a 52 Buick, cried all day when Dad traded it in a 56. If you do make one on the lines of a Buick don't put the holes in the hood. lol
come to think about it, that might work. Three little rustifaction "holes" along the side. "Roadmaster" love the name. Shows class. Great idea.

random wrote:
'53 Buick and its lines... in fact thought about giving it the name "Roadmaster" but decided that would be goofy.
JMB

Post by JMB »

You guys are Hot today. Y'all are bring back a lot of old memories. Had a 39 Ford Coup while in the Air Force.

ArtGuy wrote:
1940 ford. I remember thinking. Yeah! make em short and fat![/quote]
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

I find myself drawing more bits and pieces from many different places (more than when I started, which as too simply find a pipe that I would like and do a variation on the design)...

I will say that I find myself looking at the mechanics of others pipes just as much as design, so hopefully that's a sign that my own style is starting to emerge...