I'm back... (updated pics)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

I'm back... (updated pics)

Post by bscofield »

Sort of anyway... While on a 1 yr+ hiatus from pipemaking, I decided I was not satisfied with the equipment I had. I am waiting on some cash flow in order to upgrade said equipment. In the meantime I have a workshop again (WOOHOO!!!) and have done some work on some pipes that I never finished. This one, I call it "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", is one that I have had on the bench for about 2.5 years. It was a mis-drilled airway. I caught it before drilling the tobacco chamber and then changed the drilling of the chamber, the result is a 1/64" drilling error. That combined with the fact that it is made with a pre-fab bit (something I wont be doing anymore on pipes for sale) meant that this was a keeper! I thought for about 2.5 years about what to do the the mis-drilled block and this is what i came up with. I didn't realize until it was too late that taking pictures with a black background makes it really hard to see the lines and flow of the pipe. The flow is very graceful, IMO. I'll take some more pics tomorrow with a white'er background. For now, what do you think? Hit me with some feedback!

Last edited by bscofield on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Ben,

Maybe it's just me, but, the pipe bowl seems a little out of proportion to the rest of the pipe. It seems really tall/long for the shape/style.

Otherwise, it's very attractive. The rustication is very nice and consistent, finish is great, very lovely work.

--Michael
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Ben,

I like the side profile of this pipe very much. The bottom line, in particular, is quite graceful. Nice staining and rustication as well.

Good work and congratulations on setting up a new shop. I look forward to seeing new works come forth!

Best,

Jeff
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi Ben,

the shape is very interesting and I would like to see it with a perfect peace of briar (I mean the rusticated side...). A little bit courius with the shank, but who cares! Without the drilling problems it'll be the kind of pipe I would like to own...

Congrats for the new shop and I'm looking forward for your next great work.
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

- Michael

It may be out of proportion, it doesn't seem it in person. I'm not pleased with my pics to begin wtih, but in particular the fact that there's no absolute side profile makes it hard to see that the shank is a bit beefy, evening out the size of the bowl, IMO.

- Jeff

Thanks! I don't think anyone likes the profile from the top (myself included), it's what had to be done because of the drilling. Given the twisted shank, I think the pipe is interesting. The side profile is indeed what I'm most pleased with. The top line, while decent, is a product of working around the mis-drill.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Heinz_D wrote:Hi Ben,

the shape is very interesting and I would like to see it with a perfect peace of briar (I mean the rusticated side...). A little bit courius with the shank, but who cares! Without the drilling problems it'll be the kind of pipe I would like to own...

Congrats for the new shop and I'm looking forward for your next great work.
Thanks Heinz! I will definately be trying this shape again. I was excited with this shape to begin with but am more pleased with it now that I see it's potential.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Got some better profile pics of the pipe, also pre-carbed it before taking the pictures. I still need to get a pipe studio set-up! I'm not real pleased with my picture taking at all... but it shows the profile much better.

ckr

Post by ckr »

Ben,

Looks nice to me, don't think it is anymore out of proportion than a tall biliard or pot, but the crooked shank - well that is another story.

I love the shape of the stummel and the contrasting rustification.

Glad you got tooled up, I agree that it is frustating without the right equipment.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great looking pipe there buddy! I really like the flow of the piece. Very Danish. And very graceful.