Nautilus (updated pics)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Leus

Nautilus (updated pics)

Post by Leus »

(Updated pics below)

Last week I decided to make a pipe inspired by Bo Nordh's Nautilus shape. I remember the first time I saw the pictures here:

http://www.pt-magazine.com/museum/Nordh.pdf

I was (and still am) stunned by the creativity of the man. May he rest in peace.

This exercise actually did much more than I intended. I avoided to copy the shape, and I added a couple of details (like the twist) of my own. I think I did a remarkably good job ad symmetry and purity of lines (when compared to my other works, of course.) This was accomplished by using tools that I overlooked before: small files, and a carving knife are examples of this.

Also, I did finish the shaping process twice before the final result. I had started sanding the pipe smooth, and then I forced myself to stop. I put the pipe away, and at night, I just took the pipe and sat in my favorite place, light a pipe (another one, of course) and spend several moments just contemplating it. I did this process twice. Next day I would go to my workshop and reshaped a couple of things here and there.

It took me about three days (not full days, mind you) to shape this pipe, and another full day to sand it smooth and staining.

I did a big effort in not to rush things. I only partly succeeded at this; the staining process went a little too fast, and the contrast wasn't as dramatic as I wanted to. The stem is another thing. I had made one and it wasn't up to standard, so I discarded it.

However, I'm posting this because I think I actually crossed a barrier: now I <b>know</b> that I'm capable of doing certain things that before I just thought I was capable of. This is a good feeling.

Last edited by Leus on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool bud. I can't believe I missed this earlier. I have done the same kind of thing, taking a masters work and doing my best to imitate it (Though not copy).

The shape you made is wonderful! I love the way the shell curls outward from its center. Very Talbert-esque. My one critique, and this is quite subjective, is that the tail becomes too thin too quickly. From the bowl, you have this thick tube arching downward. Tube doesn't do the pipe justice, but i can't think of a better word. And then suddenly, its very thin and almost delicate. A more gradual transition would look better in my opinion. Overall, the pipe has a slightly creepy feel to it. Very halloween-ish. Love it!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Great work. Love the shape. Please re-post after you finish the stem. I'l like to see the whole thing finished.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

Thank you guys. Nick, you are right, it is a sudden transition, but when looked from more angles it makes more sense.

Of course I'm going to take better pictures once it's done. Yesterday I managed to screw up another stem... :oops:
Leus

Post by Leus »

Wheee, I finished it. Not too happy with the stem thought.

LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

That's a beautiful pipe my friend.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's a very beautiful pipe, Leus, and from your description I can tell you had a great time making it. This looks like a very challanging shape!

I like taking breaks as you describe--just to sit and smoke a previous project while carefully looking over the current one, from every coneavable angle. I find that it takes time to see things that will then suddenly become obvious. If I can, I also have someone else take a look too. And sometimes just taking a step back from a pipe really helps me to see new things about it.

I will be very interested in seeing more pipes from you. Keep up the great work! I think perhaps you have turned an important corner with this one!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------