New Sandblast

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

New Sandblast

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey guys I thought I would post this up here. It is a new sandblast I have just gotten done with....

Here are the stats:

Height: 1.75"
Length: 4.75"
Weight: 1.3 oz (37 grams)
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1 1/4"
Cumberland Stem
Bocote Shank Treatment

Tano

Post by Tano »

Ahhhh!!
What a joy it is to view your pipes. They give me such a sense of appreciation for good work. Also makes me want to go out and buy a sandblaster.
But in all modesty its not the tool that makes the pipe its the artist using it.

Keep it up.
Tano
ckr

Post by ckr »

John,

Can't remember if I have seen 2 or 3 of your blasts previously, but this one is by far the best yet. It radiates out from the heel out to the bowl and shank in a pattern that complements the shape.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's a beautiful pipe, John! I love the blast. Very nice ring grain. A little deeper blast than your others, isn't it? Care to elaborate on the blasting technique as well as anything different you did with the stain and finish? This one works great with the lighter finish, and with the grain showing through the stain. The bocate looks fantastic too. I especieally like the end grain in the last pic! I always enjoy seeing your work, John.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Thanks guys, I was really pretty stoked about this one. I havn't done anything different than what I have talked about before. The main thing is that the guy who runs the shop I blast at had replaced the film on the inside of the cabinet. Until know I have been blasting blind while only going by the feel of the spray on the pipe, stopping every so often to peek in to see how things were going.

With this pipe I could see the pipe as the spray was hitting it and watch the grain appear. Wow what a difference that makes. However, the surface on this one is mainly due to the block of wood I used. It had very strong ring grain right from the start and was very uniform. It really was made to be blasted.

The light stain seems to help with the definition too. The dark stains look great but they seem to flatten the surface a bit. The blast always looks less craggy and defined after the dark stain is applied.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

So John, from now on leave the blindfold tests to the TV commercials, eh. Ditto what I said over on Knox; it's cathartic to view the images again and again over here! And right on about the light stain! Just a super pipe!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice work buddy! Great blast! The bowl looks a little small in relation to the shank to me, but that may just be me. The pipe has a very Nanna-esque feel to it. I like it! Sold it yet?