New Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

New Pipe

Post by flix »

Hi all,

Finished this pipe recently, thought it might be enjoyable for you all to see:

Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Thanks,
--Michael
Last edited by flix on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

To post the pic:

Go to the photo and right click
Select "properties"
Copy the image's URL (In the case of your first photo: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/albums/2 ... C03504.jpg)
Paste the image URL between the image tags (Image)

Here it is with an * added to cause an error that doesn't actually post the photo:

With the * removed:

flix

Post by flix »

Thank you very much Tyler! I'll correct the first posting...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool shape. The round shank seems at odds with the geometric bowl. The fit looks great on the stem. Bowl shank transition is pretty deliberate, but thats what you were going for I'm sure. Very interesting.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Michael,

It looks like you did it right, but you were right-clicking on the image one page too early. It appears that you posted the thumbnails. If you click on each thumbnail and then right click on the large image, the posts in this message will be the large image.

Tyler
flix

Post by flix »

Tyler,
Just as I was trying to fall asleep I figured this out myself. Once again, will correct!
Thanks,
--Michael
flix

Post by flix »

Nick wrote:Cool shape. The round shank seems at odds with the geometric bowl. The fit looks great on the stem. Bowl shank transition is pretty deliberate, but thats what you were going for I'm sure. Very interesting.
Thank you Nick. The round shank was deliberate, since a "Harpoon" has a round shaft. I really was careful about the fit on the stem, since my Pimo tenon tool is so tricky. It takes me a long time to make that thing work perfectly!

The bowl/shank transition had to be pretty defined, since, again, it's a "harpoon". I didn't know any other way to make it work.

Thanks for the feedback, it's my best pipe so far. Not bad for a Tim West 2nd block of briar. I really am getting a lot out of his castoffs! This one is also my 15th pipe. Hopefully I will be posting some more soon.

--Michael
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ahhhhh! I see. The shape is a whale being harpooned? Cute!
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Nick,

No, just a harpoon, stylized that is!

Thanks for the comments!

--Michael
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Michael, playing style police again, sigh. But we agreed on open criticism somwhat ago.

I feel that the stylization of the harpoon figure somewhat went too far in reducing the visual elements of a harpoon. I must admit I barely catch that visual idea from the pics and so I have the feeling that the shape seems somewhat "wanted", but didn't get there.
That is for the two hooks on it's back. They seem to quote the shape of a harpoon, but don't give the impression yet. Too small, I believe. I would want to see a sharp front following the idea of a harpoon, too. Which makes it necessary to have a rather huge block to start from.
And I don't get behind the bow in the back of the bowl. Maybe I have some wrong pictures of a harpoon in my mind. Maybe I am picky. But it seems a bit overstylized, so that the viewer's eye does not have a clear point to hook on to a basic visual idea. And technically: Does that bow lead to a considerable small wall thickness in his deepest point?

I have some similar thing on the bench (having a visual idea from the start, but sadly it simply does not reach that idea by far and looks ugly, probably the start idea was wrong).

I find your shape interesting to a point thinking about picking up the idea behing it for a future shape of mine.

So I still mean my criticism as sort of encouragement, don't get me wrong!
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
flix

Post by flix »

Thank you for the comments, Alex. I appreciate your speaking your mind freely. It is important for me to hear what people think of the pipe!

--Michael