I need a piece of bamboo!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
ASB

I need a piece of bamboo!

Post by ASB »

and Andrea is out :( . Can anyone spare a piece of at least 4 inches. Please email me or post on to this. I can pay you with PayPal or check or blood if you prefer.

I'd also be interested in any other sources if anyone knows of any.

Please help!

Aaron
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Aaron,

Tim West sells bamboo. Last time I checked he still had some in stock.

http://www.jhlowe.com

David
ASB

Post by ASB »

Thanks David, I just went and placed an order with Tim.

I was a little emotional yesterday with my initial post, I am working on a piece for a gift and I really needed to get some bamboo for the extension. It is going to be a cavalier with the top 2/3 of the shank bamboo. If it comes out like I see it in my head it's going to be very nice, but this is my first shot at an extension.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you hit a snag with the bamboo, don't hesitate to ask. I must have ruined more bamboo shanks trying different methods to do it - until I got a chance to ask Jody how to do it at the NASPC show one year. Man, that was a head-smacker moment....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I just bought some from Tim West, so I know he has stock.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ASB

Post by ASB »

Yeah, I got a piece of the economy to practice with and then I got 1 each of the small, medium and large. Tim called me shortly after I put the order through and gave me some pointers. He suggested using CA glue instead of epoxy, I know I'm getting off topic, well, off forum topic since we're in the buy sell trade section, but what are your thoughts on this?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

ASB wrote:Yeah, I got a piece of the economy to practice with and then I got 1 each of the small, medium and large. Tim called me shortly after I put the order through and gave me some pointers. He suggested using CA glue instead of epoxy, I know I'm getting off topic, well, off forum topic since we're in the buy sell trade section, but what are your thoughts on this?
I would not use CA glue. It dries too quickly to ensure that you've gotten a good bond everywhere. The best way to attach bamboo is using 3/16" stainless steel rod and 5 min. epoxy. This gives you a good strong joint while allowing enough working time to ensure a thorough bond on all surfaces.
And just to keep us on topic, I sell very high quality wangi bamboo. Tim's bamboo will give you more of a Dunhill look--dark yellow with knuckles fairly far apart--and Andrea's bamboo will have closer knuckles and a lighter color--basically what you see on high-end Danish. FWIW, Andrea's bamboo comes from me :D I can't spend the time and effort to sell in very small quantities though, so if you guys need it, tell her to give me a call.

Good luck,

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And no matter how much you cajole and plead, he will NOT sell you any black bamboo. :D

This is exactly what Jody told me. Use 5 minute epoxy and 3/16" tube. Mcmaster Carr will have exactly what you need. I get mine with 5/32" inner diameter.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ASB

Post by ASB »

Thanks to all!

Tim West is superfast-he sent it all Express,

Andrea is just as fast (got the cumberland, a few blocks of the expensive stuff, and some black rod), and

McMaster Carr was also just as fast

It all arrived Friday, but had to work at the part time job Friday night. Saturday morning the wife had to work so I got to play with my daughter. Saturday night I had to work at Papa Johns again. Sunday day the wife was at work again so I got to play with the daughter some more (actually I dyed her hair red for Haloween w/o permission from the wife :P not suggested :( )

Finally got to go play with my new toys last night. I got the right ID rod, but I think the OD is not the 3/16", but I'll find a bit to make it work. The bamboo is easy to work with, but I imagine it's easy to break too, which is why you guys suggested the tube I assume-thanks. I did split a bit of the economy grade trying to get a stem in that was still a bit snug, but that's why I bought some of it, to learn on.

Question: The pipe I'm making for a shop/experimental pipe is a cavalier with bamboo for the end cap and the majority of the shank. For the end cap do I need to seal the inside? The bamboo looks to be very porous linearly. Will that wick moisture from the innerds? Wouldn't that be a good thing? But won't it make the bottom look nasty? I've smoked it once already (yes without rod inserted and with the slight split in the top of the shank) and it smoked well enough for a cav.

Another question: Does anyone want to donate a decent lathe to me, I'll trade the monster sized cheap POS I made the mistake of buying. It may be that it's me and not the lathe that needs work though :dunno:

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Aaron