Prince or the pauper

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ckr

Prince or the pauper

Post by ckr »

Got too many projects going on around the house and have been working on this
one about a week. It is suppose to be a prince with a slight bend but due to
a few pits on the heel it will have to be a pauper. Don't know how that
happens when I am getting "the finest briar available".

Used a black and bronze pen blank for the stem
Very versatile, the tamper can double for a coke-spoon, er I mean snuff.

There are a few more shots here.
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... _album.php

So get at it, tear it apart - but please do so kindly as I am rather sensitive.

Regardless Wilson, my shop buddy, says it is pretty darn good for numero six.
Last edited by ckr on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

It's better than my sixth pipe that is for damn sure. I vote prince.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Hmm. . . Twenty-some views; three votes: you deserve better. But all three of us "action" guys say it's a "Prince." Maybe a little thick in the stem, but very definitely a lovely pipe. And for #6, as has been said, that's better'n my sixth, which hasn't even been made yet.
flix

Post by flix »

Very nice, except one thing that sort of bugs me: the chamber hole stops short about 1mm. I can see that the draught hole outline is showing, just a little bit.

Other than that, I see a pretty flawless execution on both the pipe and the tamper. Very nice looking set!

--Michael
Nick

Post by Nick »

Prince all the way bud. The stem is a bit clunky to my taste. Especially if you were going for a prince shape. With the girthier shank, it looks more apple-ish to me. Stemwork is hard! I am absoltely in the same boat, where you're nervouse about taking off too much material. It just takes time to learn, I guess. But that's what's fun about it!

The draft hole doesn't bother me as much. I noticed it too. Some makers actually leave their bowls intentionally short like that. Rainer Barbi among them...I think. I fall into the "dead bottom" club myself. But some times thats just how the end up. And I'm too much of a nervous nelly to try and get that last itty bitty bit knocked down.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Definately a prince!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Looks more apple'y to me. Or maybe like a billiard that was chopped off a little short. The pipe looks pretty good though.

For a prince, I'd like to see a slimmer (and longer) shank, slimmer stem, and rounder bowl.

Here's pic of a Dunhill: http://www.tine.at/pipes/private_collec ... rince1.jpg
ckr

Post by ckr »

Flix: the chamber hole stops short about 1mm

This ain't my drilling, the further I take it down the more the draught hole
moves further out from the center. So I stopped where I did. I'll be grinding a new 13/16 drill bit in the near future.

Nick:stem is a bit clunky

Yes, the doctor says that the side effects of SandThrough-itis are short lived and my hands should soon show signs of recovery. While I think it does follow the taper of the drill fairly close, it probably could go thinner. I think if it was just the stem without the brass I would have gone for it. Just call me chicken.

:girthier shank

You'r correct.

BTW - any buffer that touches brass becomes dedicated to brass (tarnish)

Joel: apple'y - For a prince, I'd like to see a slimmer (and longer) shank,
slimmer stem, and rounder bowl.

Thanks for the link, the longer stem, while not a prerequisite, does add some elegance to the shape. The blank was certainly long enough and I wish I had seen the pics before.

One thing I have noticed is the shank starts the taper but the brass and first 1/2 inch of stem is straight and then the stem tapers. I think the taper could have been made more continuous, Wilson is suppose to catch those things

Got no pauper votes yet so I guess it is not that bad, give it a
C+. I know there are many keen eyes in this crowd with years of experience so I am fairly happy with the reviews.

Thanks all for tak'in the time. :hug:
Fumo in pace :pipe: