Rod Stock

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
ScoJo

Rod Stock

Post by ScoJo »

Where do you get yours? Anyone get it from pipemakers.org? Your impressions? Any cheaper sources for us newbies? I'm working on my first handcut stem now - but I think I cut the stem too short, so it should be interesting. Made it too long at first, then cut it - probably too much. Looks kinda stubby.

No funny comments about my stubby rod, either.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I recently ordered acrylic rod form pipemakers.org. I didn't have the money at the time for anything else, but will be moving to ebonite with my next order.

The price of the acrylic was fine with me.. I believe $10.50 per rod for solid black and burgundy. Also, Andrea was universally cool and waived the $100 minimum so long as I was paying by credit card.

I also got some of the briar she had on sale for $8 for 3 hunks of ebauchon. I got six pieces and to this point I've worked on two and have only run across one pit. The grain on these hunks is variable, but so far all the blocks have grain I can work with.. and if not, I love me a rusticated pipe.

So, if you're asking "should I order from Andrea?", I would suggest you do.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have ordered ebonite from pipemakers emporium. It is the German stuff and very good quality.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ArtGuy wrote:I have ordered ebonite from pipemakers emporium. It is the German stuff and very good quality.
Me too!

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

Not sure if this is still relevant, but the price for 1" diameter, 72" length solid black is pretty good: http://stores.ebay.com/SIMPLY-ACRYLICS

Regards,
Frank.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

The acrylic that Frank refered to is listed as extruded stock.
This material is extremely difficult to work with, and with it's lower melting point, it is next to impossible to drill or machine.

Although more expensive, the cast acrylic is a far better choice for stem material.

Mike
ckr

Post by ckr »

If one desires to spend the time to turn it down, but if it is not cast then .. as mike says
Last edited by ckr on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I've purchased from her as well.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

I purchase from Andrea too. The ebonite is fine and the service too. You can try this http://shop.hermanns.dk the price is better for me but I am in Bulgaria. And one more thing hermanns rods are 1m in length !! You can compare the prices. These 2 sources are best for me.
George