How do get rid of that dull gray look

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
becometheunknown

How do get rid of that dull gray look

Post by becometheunknown »

So I was hiking through the woods the other night, smoking a relatively new pipe, when I slipped going up a hill. My pipe flew out of my mouth and landed in a thin set of branches right above a not-so-frozen-over creek (whew!) Unfortunately as it landed snow from the branches (and probably my gloves as I picked it up) got on parts of it. I wipped it off as best I could and headed back home, but when I got back into the light I noticed that the shine was gone and the color dulled from those parts that touched snow. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Did you fix it by sanding it again or by putting more of a finish on it? I hope someone can help me out, it used to be so beautiful... :cry:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Got pictures?

It might be that the carnuba came off, which is easily fixable by buffing the pipe again. If the stain itself came off, you may be able, with a careful hand, to reapply some stain and then buff to a shine. If the grain of the wood is raised, you might not have a choice but to re-sand the entire pipe and reapply stain.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I had a similar problem with a factory pipe once (used to smoke those cheapies before learning to make my own) I spilled water on the bowl and the finish turned grey. I figured it was like the "rings" you get if you set a glass down on a coffee table, like the finish was "lifted" Since the pipe was factory made and probably finished with a laquer or varnish I had to sand off the whole thing and finish it with carnuba.

David
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I had a pipe drop out of my mouth and sink to the bottom of my daughters kiddie pool. Letting it dry and giving it a good buff and wax did the trick.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehee,

I dropped a pipe into a bucket of sudsy water once. Car washing and pipes just don't mix. I should know better. Although I think the first rule of pipe smoking ought to be never smoke your pipe while taking a piss. I mean no matter where you're pissing, only bad things can happen. First off, your pipe can come into contact with the piss. Second, there is the chance for a solid briar/shlong impact - OUCH. Not to mention the remote posibility of a burning ember/shlong contact. YYEEOWCHH!

I'd just rather avid the whole issue and set my pipe down while relieving myself.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Thought I had read about every post here. Ya can always count on Nick to get to the root of the matter.

Seriously though, this is gonna head right to the top of my list. Right next to the milking the bull rule :lol:
Fumo in pace :pipe: