Briar reading 101

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ckr

Briar reading 101

Post by ckr »

It seems that pipe makers after acquiring some experience envision a pipe inside a block and have a good sense as to what the finished pipe will look like. I have not cut many briar pipes from a block, so I have pretty much have had to reverse the process. Look at a pipe and imagine the block from whence it came.

Side 1, shows the straight grain and in 2 you can see how the grain goes
from straight on the left and is migrating out towards the right (3) which is all birdseye The side with the burl back is fairly straight which in my mind looks to be a shield. It seems to me that the block is going to mostly yield birdseye and a side of straight grain.

I plan on sanding down the front to see if any flaws and how nice the birdseye is before I start cutting and drilling.

While I am not apt to change my mind, I would be very interested what other carvers see in the block and what shapes they might envision as well as how the perceive the flow of the grain and how to best capitalize on the attributes of this chunk of wood.

Kinda maybe??

Last edited by ckr on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

The design you have drawn is going to have a cross grain. Is that what you had in mind? Because of the lines of the pipe, I would think that the lines would look better running the length of the pipe. But getting back to the old discussion, beauty is in the eye . . . .
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Craig,
Thanks, too bad I couldn't send this block on an international tour and have every one sketch on it.

As I understand you think the pipe should be rotated on that side so the grain is running top to bottom. If so, do you think that the other three sides would mostly be birdseye? Possibly I am just hung up on the Birdseye front and the shape. Is there a particular shape or pipe you see also?

Another thing, I have seen sketches where the pipe is small in relation to the size of the block and half the block is not even used, as a newbe and frugal yankee I was shocked. It took a while for it to sink in that he had selected the best grain in the block and a shape that would take advantage of it.

As for the grain running across, I had not even given it consideration and
probably should have (thanks for pointing it out).

I did sand the bark off and will probably have to go a bit deeper to see if
the front does indeed have a nice birdseye pattern. It is almost to the front and looks to be a bit "bald", a little naked in areas, not quite what I had first envisioned. So my first impression might be totally off.

I have noted that is several of the pick-axe, elephant's foot (don't know how that name evolved) have one or two sides are cross grained with excellent birdseye on the front and back. This is kind of what I had in mind.

As you say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..., but well trained eyes will see more of it. Thanks again. BTW this is my first (non-kit) block, so the decision process is new to me.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hi CKR,

Unfortunately, you're not going to get that sort of pipe from the block you have pictured there. It may be possible if you drill it on a different axis, but I'm assuming you have to drill the block squarely, chucking it in either a vise or a lathe chuck. The way this thing works is that the grain runs the way it runs. If you want straightgrain panels on both sides then you'll have to orient the tobacco chamber perpindicular to that grain. Basically what this would involve is drilling into the block starting at the upper left corner and going toward the bottom right corner. Otherwise you're going to need a different block where the straight grain is running parallel with both sides of the block. And FWIW, Teddy has been doing this for a while, so don't be disappointed if your pipe doesn't turn out looking like that :)

Best of luck,

Todd
ckr

Post by ckr »

Todd

Yes the block is cut off center and has only the one side showing a straight grain pattern. Drilling corner to corner is out of the question but you are right about it being the best angle to take advantage of the grain that is there. A similar grain on the other side (3) would have been nice, but the block is what it is.

I checked your site and you did a somewhat similar shape, New Year 05, which is very nice looking and offers some idea as how to accent the front
birdseye and compensate for the lack of a matching grain pattern.
don't be disappointed if your pipe doesn't turn out looking like that
When it is finished I'll be happy if someone recognizes it as a pipe. :lol:

It seems to me that no matter which way the pipe is orientated it will only have straight grain in one side :( , thanks again, you and Craig have at least got me thinking more openly.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

You could do a funcky curvy freehand thing that flows with the grain. Or just make a pipe and rusticate it.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Joel, thanks but I'll pass on those two options, not that there is anything wrong with them.

I did get somewhat of a straight grain on the two sides. The right side (3) which was full of birdseye lost it as both sides came in 3/8 and it turned into somewhat of a straight grain. The front did have a fairly nice birdseye pattern and the rest was just ho-hum

I'm smoking my first bowl in it, a pick axe and tastes much better than the BBQ batch. However, I have again been demoted and am being sent to Wall Thickness 101 as when I reach the bottom of the bowl the paper thin front wall there is sure to burn through. :sad:
Last edited by ckr on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Don't be so sure it'll burn through. I've a pipe that I made with less than 1/16th of an inch at the bottom. Silly me, I tried to chase out a big flaw.

Anyway, I've had several smokes in the pipe and it's not showing any signs of burnout.

Just take that area real slow until you get some cake in it. That will help insulate it.

Joel
ckr

Post by ckr »

Joel,

It has not died yet, the first bowl caused a half dime size sunburst of blackened char . . but it is not yet gone.

BTW:pits on the bottom were why is got shaved too close, foolish mortals.

I'll get every last puff from this puppy! :)