Second last pipe Volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

Second last pipe Volcano

Post by Tano »

Hi All.
This is the second last pipe. It, as well as the last (which I never got a chance to take a picture of), I sold to a co- worker. He is a fairly large man with big hands, hence I had to make him two bigger than usual pipes. I hope you like them, and as usual comments are always appreciated.
Best to All.
Tano
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello Tano,

Very cool looking pipe, nice work.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Nice job, indeed.

Not to get off topic but what do you treat your inner chamber with?
Last edited by ckr on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Tano

Post by Tano »

I pre carbonize using a mixture of powder charcoal, buttermilk and sour cream, mixed to a consistency that allows the concoction to stick to the wall of the bowl.
marks

Post by marks »

My only constructive comment is that the shank bowl junction looks too fat to me.

That being said, I like the half saddle stem on this pipe. I also think you did a very good job with your creases/corners at the bottom of the pipe and at the rim. Very crisp and clean. Finally, the line on the bottom of the pipe from the button to the end of the pipe looks smooth and it flows very well to my eye.

Nice job.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, very nice pipe, Tano! I really like it. To my eye the shank/bowl transition very nicely matches the overall shape. Sort of a cross breed between a horn (no transition), and a more conventional shape. It looks like you are developing your own unique style, which I really admire.

Looking forward to seeing more from you!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
obie

Post by obie »

Gorgeous. I dig the rounded underside, and the flow of the piece is beautiful. Very very nice.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

I've been waiting for your next one(s), Tano. Of late I've been thinking so much about contrast staining and high-gloss finish that I was taken aback with this. Then I looked again. And again. This is a very HONEST pipe. Good lines, nothing flashy; it grows on you. The finish fits it well. I like it very much.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Tano

Thanks for the recipe:

1 qt Buttermilk
2 tblsp Sour Cream
1 lbs powered activated carbon

Blend on high!! :lol:

Seriously, Thanks and I will give it a shot.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Tano,
Absolutely beautiful. I like everything about this pipe. The lines flow wonderfully. What are the pipe dimensions?

Also, I am really interested in how you shaped your half saddle stem. I just did a half saddle, and it didn't look like yours. Did you start by actually cutting the angle or did you sand/grind to that angle. Just curious.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

I agree with marks: The shank bowl junktion seems a little bit to fat to me too - but overall it fits to the pipe! Very nice shape and stem. Do you made it with or without filter chamber?
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
Tano

Post by Tano »

custom300 wrote:Tano,
Absolutely beautiful. I like everything about this pipe. The lines flow wonderfully. What are the pipe dimensions?

Also, I am really interested in how you shaped your half saddle stem. I just did a half saddle, and it didn't look like yours. Did you start by actually cutting the angle or did you sand/grind to that angle. Just curious.
Sincere thanks for all your comments, Gentlemen.
Jamie, to make the half saddle, all I did was to focus on sanding the top. I started with the very rough shape and made sure that I would not go too far as to sand into the air hole. I think a half saddle should have more material removed from the top, than the regular saddles. I have to admit it was like walking in a mine field.
Best regards to all.
Tano
p.s. pipemaking has come to a complete standstill,as my mother in law is not doing well,and I'm afraid she will soon be leaving us.