Another Stain In The Bowl Question!

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
bvartist

Another Stain In The Bowl Question!

Post by bvartist »

Just stained my most recent, ran into a problem so I'll ask the experts. I had stained the bowl and shank of the stummel, and turned it over to stain the rim, when I noticed stain on the inside walls of the chamber! 8O

I hadn't stained any portion of the top of the bowl yet so I didn't dribble any inside, the stain must have seeped from the outside of the bowl. No visible flaws in that area but there must be something, I don't think I put enough stain on to soak through 1/4 inch or more of briar! Should I scrap the pipe? Any hope of saving it?

David
marks

Post by marks »

Some pieces of briar are just more porous than others, and this is not an uncommon thing to happen.

Or, it could be a hidden flaw wicking the stain through.

Personally, I would keep working the pipe, and if you get to a flaw, then it is the second scenario. If you do not get to a flaw, then it is probaly scenario 1.

Sorry, but that is the best answer I have.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Sometimes that just happens. It's one of the prime reasons that I use bowl coatings, because otherwise someone would pick up the pipe and grouse about how stain was "dripped into the bowl" or some-such, not realizing that it can sometimes cheerfully wick right through the wood from the outside. If it's only in one definite spot, it's more likely to be a hidden flaw inside the wall passing moisture, but if it's in lots of scattered tiny dots, you just have an unusually porous piece of briar. C'est normal!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

TreverT wrote:Sometimes that just happens. It's one of the prime reasons that I use bowl coatings, because otherwise someone would pick up the pipe and grouse about how stain was "dripped into the bowl" or some-such, not realizing that it can sometimes cheerfully wick right through the wood from the outside. If it's only in one definite spot, it's more likely to be a hidden flaw inside the wall passing moisture, but if it's in lots of scattered tiny dots, you just have an unusually porous piece of briar. C'est normal!
Thank you both for clearing this one up for me! The stain in the bowl is in several(actually many) small dots! I never thought about briar being porous enough for stain to penetrate that deep. I knew this one probably wasn't from a flaw. I rusticated the bowl with no visible flaws in the location with the stain seepage. The pipe will be a good smoking experiment for me. I'll precarb the bowl and light it up! Next time I'll know more of what to look for! Thanks guys!!

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

This is why I too began to coat all the bowls of my pipes. I noticed that it occurred most often on rusticated pipes. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the increased surface area and the fact that the texture "grabs" the stain off the brush causing more stain to be applied.

As the others have said, sounds normal.

Tyler
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tyler wrote:This is why I too began to coat all the bowls of my pipes. I noticed that it occurred most often on rusticated pipes. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the increased surface area and the fact that the texture "grabs" the stain off the brush causing more stain to be applied.

As the others have said, sounds normal.

Tyler
Tyler,

Now that I think about it........(never a good idea! :lol: )

I've had two do that recently, both were rusticated. The first one there were pits in the area that the stain came through, and I attributed it to that. This one had no pits in the area of the stain leakage. What I'm wondering about is, both pipes I rusticated using the pipe/nail tool.(Built to your specs!) I've done rustications with a dremel and different bits with no similar results. I'm wondering if the rustication tool somehow "opens up" the grain. Or it may be just the increase in surface area and application of a greater amount of stain. Now I'm tempted to cut the pipe in half to investigate further! (I'll smoke it a few time first though, hate to cut up a perfectly good pipe!)

Thanks All, always want to learn!
David
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

It happens. Don't sweat it.

I have got to come up with a bowl coating for rusticated pipes.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And you want to know the most frustrating part?

Some people will, on the one hand, claim that things like shellac are bad for pipes because they seal the wood. Then, on the other hand, rant and grouse about the tiny spots of stain in the bowl from the briar that clearly is able to breathe incredibly well.

It boggle the mind, it does....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Everyone.

What else is there besides "pre carbonizing" that you use to coat the bowls?
Best to All.
Tano.