Chicago Show

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Chicago Show

Post by Nick »

So did anyone here go to the Chicago show? The pics I've seen look way too cool. I'm really looking farward to August's show here in Columbus. Anyone coming to that?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I was there and it was great. I got a chance to meet and talk with a number of really great carvers. Rolando Negiota really gave me a lot of good info and mentioned my name to a journalist who is writing a book about pipes. Aparently he had already had my name before Rolando spoke with him and just needed to confirm some information with me. Now all I need to do is send him some hi-res pics of me and my pipes for the book and I'm in it. The whole idea of that has still not fully sunk in.

I did not sell any pipes other then the ones that were already reserved before the show but making the connections made the trip worth it. I guess it would help to have a table eh? My eight pipes on the corner of Kirk's table in a room of 272 other tables did not exactly scream out to people. But I already went in with the idea that any sales were going to be gravy.

There was a meeting on friday that only "legitimate" pipe carvers could attend and somehow I got in. You should try standing up in front of a room of 80 of the world's best carvers and introducing yourself. I felt like a guy that has taken a few guitar lessons suddenly introducing myself to Jimmy Page, Eddie VanHalen, Hendrix and Clapton etc.

At that meeting, I got to sit with Rolando and Tony Nielson and have a great conversation about my pipes.

The strand rustication was a hit with most. Meeting Marco Biagnini of Moretti pipes was a trip too. He is the nicest guy on the planet. All in all, the vast majority of feedback I got from people was positive.

I also got to meet Will Purdy and see his pipes. They are very, very nice indeed. Watch for that guy, he is going to come out of the gate for big bucks I am sure. I introduced myself to him and he said " Oh yeah, I know, I have heard your name". How that could be I have no idea but... cool enough eh.

Hey Tyler! I got to sit on a hotel bed and hold the princess leah pipe for about 10 minutes or so. That pipe is coo-ool .

Smokingpipes.com had a big reception for the Japanese carvers. They are all killer. The stuff they are doing is pristine. Thier deisgn is as good or better than the Danes if you ask me.

I was also able to pick up three 4oz tins of 1993 McClellands 5100 too. Everything else is milk!! I tell you it is better than the 1983 red ribbon.

I also entered the smoking contest and lasted a whopping 12 minutes lol. I beat out two japanese women who could not get thier pipes lit and another guy who went out in 6 minutes becuase he couldn't stop talking.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I did not get to go. Major scheduling conflicts prevented it.

However, I will be displaying at the NASPC show in Columbus if I can remember to reserve a table. I'll also be displaying next year in Chicago...as long as I can remeber to reserve a table.

For you folks that frequent art shows, I'm also planning on making a trip to Rhode Island in the fall to visit the in-laws and display at the Scituate Art Festival. I bet I'll be the only pipe carver there. ;)

I'm trying to figure out the next couple years of where to display. I forsee a very busy schedule here. It is time I really focus on marketing.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool Kurt. Have you ever thought about the Upper Arlington Arts festival? I think its around Labor day.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I haven't. I didn't even know they had one. :)

I'll look into it. I just sent off my $50 registration for the NASPC show in Columbus in August. We'll see how that goes. I'm looking forward to meeting other carvers at that show, and seeing how this whole pipe show thing operates....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I went last year. It was tooo cool! Can't wait for this year's show.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Anyone going to be in Milwaukee in July? I am doing that one too.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Not me...although, my wife and kids are going to the beach for like three weeks. And I'll be all alone....hmmmm... Road trip?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick, where'd you see pictures of the Chicago show at? Online?
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.