Bamboo shank question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
GbpBulgaria

Bamboo shank question

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hello everyone
I have one question about bamboo shanks.
I have made 3 pipes with bamboo shanks – not bad result especially with this one http://www.gbpipes.com/attemtions.html (attention- big pictures) but I have a problem.
I am wondering if the bamboo needs to be sanded or not? On this part close to mortise I need to sand a little to make a perfect fitment but I can’t make as good finish as I want.

Must I sand the bamboo shank or it must be leaved with its natural finish and can be buffed with carnauba only?

Regards
George
www.gbpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello George,

I have only made one bamboo shanked pipe, but on that pipe I did sand the bamboo. Although, I did not sand the bamboo with a very aggressive grit. I started the sanding on the bamboo at 220 and just sanded very easy.

Hope this helps.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

On the pipe you show I think you have sanded away too much where the bamboo meets the shank and the stem showing the inner pores of the bamboo.
I would recomend working the stem and shank to fit the bamboo instead..also around the "nodes you could have gone lighter in my oppinion..

My suggestion is sanding the bamboo ligtly with 800-1000 paper before you do the finish. the outher surface layer is pretty thin so one must be careful

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'll second what Love said. I do lightly sand the bamboo, but only with about 1000 grit, and then only with a *very* light hand. Then I buff with white diamond and finish with carnuba. I try to leave as much of the natural finish as possible, sanding only to remove surface dirt or discoloration. It's important not to sand too much of the nodes away either, because that's really where the soul and signature shape of the bamboo is.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Thank you all

To Love
About darkening – agree. I’ve try to make dark bamboo staining it but :) unsuccessful as you can see. Never mind! The pipe is a great smoker :-))
I will try with soft sanding for finishing of the bamboo part and to work mostly on shank / stem. Must have more experience…

To Kurt
“It's important not to sand too much of the nodes away either, because that's really where the soul and signature shape of the bamboo is.”
This is just to the letter.

Thanks all of you

Best
George
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I have to say thanks to Kurt and Love also. I am getting ready to do my second bamboo shank pipe and I will make sure I don't handle the sanding of the bamboo in the same way.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com