Cherry pipe #4

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Hogi

Cherry pipe #4

Post by Hogi »

Here is a mini cherry pipe, very small, very light. I was quite pleased with this one. THough I notice I tend to take off too much wood (or so I think)

My goals for this one were: Oval top, Good hole position (I have to do mine by hand), a caved in top (hard to see in the photos). I Spent alot of time on the bowl/shank junction, I like it better than any of my previous pipes. My pictures still suck, but any feed back is appreciated.

Here you can see the slight bulge at the stem/shank junction. Need to fix that. Shank is a little squarish, and not quite round enough for the shape.

The top caves in, but you can't see that.

Comments?
Last edited by Hogi on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Nice work! Seems to be in good symmetry and well grinded. The top looks quiet interesting - would be nice to see some more details of that!

From the side view the stem looks very good - small and comfortable, from the back view it's a little bit to small at the shank's side for me, but I can mistake?

Is it an extension at the shank's end? What material and what are the dark scratches? Perhaps it would be a good idea to stain it?

But over all a very nice work.

Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I agree with Heinz_D, very good looking pipe. I really like the shape. The top of the chamber does look very cool.

Nice work.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

The scratches are actually not scratches, but a part of the wood where, for some reason, it is much darker and seem more to have more open pores. The cherry that I bought from woodcraft, for whatever reason, has alot of those in it. Funny, sometimes it looks good, sometimes not. One of my cherry pipes has a dark spot that lookes like a lightning bolt.

The extension is made of cherry. For now, all my pipes that are not from a kit will have an extension, because that makes it easy to drill the airhole correctly. After a trip to the Louisville woodcraft, I have some better extension wood for my next few pipes.

The stem does get a little too thin- I seem to end up taking off too much material when trying to make things symetrical, and my pipes end up. small! I'm 2/3 done with one that I'm trying to keep big, but it keeps getting smaller. :oops:

The top is realy cool, I'll need to get a better camera to take close pictures- looking through my camera handbook, it looks like 1.3 feet is as close as you can get. :( If my next one can stay big, it will be more, uh, photogenic.

Thanks for the feedback.