Carbon fibre

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Heinz_D

Carbon fibre

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi,

I just got a rod of carbon fibre! 30 cm long and 2 cm diameter. Now I'm thinking about a stem of carbon fibre... I just saw a few bowls with carbon look but I don't suggest that the whole bowl is carbon fibre!
But a stem should be possible. Don't know if it's possible to bend but for straight pipes? It seems to be very hard but therefor I think it it can be grind to a very thin stem and button?

Does anyone have any experiences with carbon fibre?

Greetings

Heinz_D
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Heinz,

I don't have any experience with carbon fiber and pipe making, but do have some experience working with carbon fiber. It would depend on how your rod was made, whether or not it would be suitable for a pipe stem. Usually the rod is made from carbon fiber cloth imbedded in resin. If the cloth was woven, it should have enough strength. If the rod is made of parallel fibers in resin(not woven) the rod will break easily if you try to bend it.

I can see a couple problems making a stem out of it. Sanding or cutting the fibers will usually create frayed edges making it impossible to get a smooth surface. The only way to make the final product shiny is to coat it with a resin. Although I've never tried, I doubt it would buff up very well without some sort of coating on it.

But you never know! Give it a try and let us know what happens!!!

David
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Heinz, I only know it's tricky stuff. Carbon arrow shafts must be cut on a special high-speed cutter. . . .
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Good point John, I forgot about that! A regular saw blade will just tear the carbon fibers. I use a diamond impregnated abrasive blade for cutting.

David