I'm a New Member from California - Great Site!

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
ThePipeMerchant

I'm a New Member from California - Great Site!

Post by ThePipeMerchant »

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dain from The Pipe Merchant. I sell online and on ebay ... pipe supplies etc and do restorations for my customers as well.

But I really am interested in carving pipes. I've done 3 so far and have just found this site through my friend Papa Duke. I recognize some people online here and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

From looking through the site I have allot to learn. I found carving to be relaxing and very enjoyable ... looking forward to exchanging ideas and participating in discussions. This is the first forum I've joined so drop me a line and say hello to the newbie guy. LOL ... Thanks

:D
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome! Glad you could join us, and glad to hear of your pipe carving interest. It is a great hobby, no?

Tyler
ThePipeMerchant

Thank you Tyler

Thanks Tyler for the warm welcome ... it is a great hobby... I really find it quite enjoyable and relaxing.

I'm just reading your section on how to carve a pipe. Very informative and interesting. Thank you for writing it ... much appreciated.
Dain
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Be sure to check out Tyler's (downloadable) videos.
ThePipeMerchant

Thanks John will do...
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Welcome! Glad you joined up. This is a great bunch of guys here, lots of knowledge to be shared. Jump right in...
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Welcome from the Blue Grass. Dain, you're not also a Dane are you?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ThePipeMerchant

Thank you very much Bryan and Craig. It's great to have found a forum like this ... I can tell that everyone is just really down to earth and a bunch of great guys.

I noticed Joel Shipiro from JSPipes as well and a bunch of others ... some of them are my customers funny enough! I remember when Joel was starting out making pipes last year and I fell in love with his designs and enthusiasm. I think he's a great pipe maker.

Oh and no I'm not from Denmark Craig. But would love to be there studing with some of the great master pipe makers though ... that would be a dream come true! :D

Dain
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hiya Dain.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Welcome aboard Dain.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Hello Dain,
I see you've met some of the guys. There really is a great bunch of people here, and uniquely so from all over the world. They're all very helpful and always willing to lend a hand and even give up their own techniques!

Dain here is where I get some of my Briar, All of my wax and stains, etc etc... Very good stuff and at reasonable prices I might add. Also, anyone interested in Pipe Restorations should pick up his book. I have a copy and can say it goes into every detail that you will ever run across needing to know. If not for him I wouldn't have sold my first pipe. The one I look back on now and think "Why did I show that to anyone let alone sell it"??
:? Still he managed to move it with several bidders!

So welcome my friend!
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Hi Dain! Glad you found the site and are interested in making pipes. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Joel
ThePipeMerchant

Thanks again everyone...
He a big hello to you Joel and Lonnie
:D
ithomas9389

Post by ithomas9389 »

hey everyone. names ian, and im not necessarily of the proper age to be able to buy a pipe kit (dont worry, im not a stoner, just an enthusiast of tobacco pipes). Recently i made my first pipe. It had a massive bowl and i hollowed out a dowel rod for the stem. It worked just perfectly.... until i put in the tobacco and smoked it... Maybe it's my shitty handywork, or maybe that i just emptied out a cigarette into the bowl, but whenever i took a puff, i recieved what i have come to know as "scooby snacks" when bits of the tobacco get into your mouth. After i had finished, i couldnt get the rank after-taste from my pipe. So i have 2 questions:

1: how do i prevent the tobacco from going into my mouth?
2: how do i get rid of the after-taste?

email at ithomas9389@yahoo.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Hi Thomas,
Mostly likely both problems are from the cigarette tobacco. If you can come across some pipe tobacco you'll be much better off.

I had to laugh at the term "scooby snacks" if you was smoking pipe tobacco then I'd say you're not packing the pipe right and it's allowing the tobacco to reach the stem of the pipe.

I would like to know what you made your bowl from?

Best of luck to you!
Papa Duke
ithomas9389

Post by ithomas9389 »

as a matter of fact im not sure, myself. somethin cheap. my dad does wood work, so i just cut a block off a 2x4 and carved it down. it didnt look half bad for my first pipe. i even carved its name onto the outside: "watson"... I figured sherlock holmes always smokes around watson, why cant i smoke USING watson?
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Dain,
Welcome to the forum. I checked out your website too...very cool. Hope you enjoy the forum. There a lot of really nice guys out here dedicated to the craft.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie