FINALLY! One I didn't lose to Flaws!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

FINALLY! One I didn't lose to Flaws!

Post by bvartist »

After the frustrations of the last three attempts that ended in huge flaws, I finally got another one done! Success(for me anyway!) I think it turned out pretty well, but then I may be biased! :) The stem is hand cut ebonite, made to look like a push stem. The trim ring on the shank is bubinga. The pipe is a hair under 5 1/2 inches long and extremely comfortable to hold in the teeth. And only a couple minor pits! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

David

PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

I liked this pipe so much it actually made me want to go smoke a bowl after I first saw it!

If you ask me when a pipe makes you want to go smoke one of your own then it must be a quality pipe.

BRAVO DAVID!
bugsy

Post by bugsy »

beautiful....love the color and design....GREAT WORK....BUGSY :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
flix

Post by flix »

Beauty! The only thing I don't like is that I can't see it too well, you might consider using a fill flash on your photos. otherwise, a fantasting *surprise* not hitting pits or crap in the briar, hope you get more fortunate in future.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Very nice job, David. I like the faux tapered stem, and the finish is super fine, in my opinion. Bet you can still feel the echos of that first thrill as it was finally brought to life on the buffer.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Beautiful pipe... and the finish is particularly attractive. Shines like it was dipped in oil.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Good looking pipe David. Nice shape, nice stem, good looking stain and nice buffing. Makes me want to go light up a bowl too, unfortunately that will have to wait until the work day is done.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Very nice shape and a very good looking stem! The only thing I would have done in an other way - after my fancy - is the trim ring. I would have done it wider (1 or 2 repeated to the actual width) and colored in contrast. Perhaps boxwood or anything similar?

But never the less: A greate work, a very nice grain and a beautiful finish...

Greetings

Heinz_D
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Thanks, everybody for your kind words. This was one of those pieces that seemed to want to be good from the start, and I was just along for the ride! I am very pleased with the result!
mahaffy wrote:Bet you can still feel the echos of that first thrill as it was finally brought to life on the buffer.
You're right John, theres nothing like the feeling when you begin to really see what the final product will look like!
Heinz_D wrote:The only thing I would have done in an other way - after my fancy - is the trim ring. I would have done it wider (1 or 2 repeated to the actual width) and colored in contrast. Perhaps boxwood or anything similar?
You are right Heinz. It could have looked better with more contrast between the pipe and the trim ring. It's a result of two mistakes, one miscalculation in drilling, the trim ring was originally meant to be maple and about 3 times as thick. The other was I went one coat too far with the stain and got it too dark. I could have changed it but decided to leave it like this.
flix wrote:The only thing I don't like is that I can't see it too well, you might consider using a fill flash on your photos.
My fill lighting wasn't working that day! (it was cloudy!) :dunno:

Now I think I'll go light up a bowl too! What is it about looking at pipes that makes you want to smoke one???

David
bugsy

stain

Post by bugsy »

what kind of stain did you use and what combo of colors? thanks bugsy
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Bugsy, I used an understain of Fiebings Black, and 3 coats of Fiebings Tan. :thumb: :thumb:
marks

Post by marks »

Very nice pipe, very nice finish. You should be very proud of this one.
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

A nice job. I really like the shape. Should be proud to smoke that one. Great work all around.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Thanks marks and MilesW :thumb: I am very happy with the way this one turned out. I'd say maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this pipe making thing, but don't want to jinx myself. The next one will probably kick my butt!!!

David