Sanding an Extension

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
custom300

Sanding an Extension

Post by custom300 »

I'm working on Pipe #1. I have added an extension made from some red oak I had in the shop. It lines up really well and looks good (for #1) except there is a slight ridge (just a hair) in the Oak where it meets the briar. I have been carefully sanding it... 100, 200, 400 grit. What I thought would happen is that the high point would eventually work out. What seems to be happening is that the briar is also reducing proportionatly to the Oak, so the ridge is not going away. Any suggestions?
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jamie,

Try reversing the direction that you are sanding. If you have been sanding from oak to briar try sanding from briar to oak.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Are you backing up the sandpaper with something flat? If not, try wraping the sandpaper around a flat piece of board or even one of your flat files. It is difficult to keep the transitions flat if you try to sand with just your fingers. It will often tend to follow whatever is there, or remove the softer material faster than the harder.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
smokepiper

about leveling the edge

Post by smokepiper »

Always wirk the grinding from the hardest material when the edge is removed. work in waves like you lift the grinder just at the edge so you never intrigue with the softer material. Very gentle and causion of making a dip at the edge.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Along with the above tips, put some masking tape on the briar to help protect it from the sandpaper. This should enable you to just sand the oak.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com