To lathe, or not to lathe..

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

To lathe, or not to lathe..

Post by hazmat »

If you were buying a JET Mini Lathe, what basic tooling would you absolutely have to have in order to use it for pipe making? Let's exclude any custom tooling by Ken Lamb or anyone else. I'm talking what's available commercially. It's looking like I may have a golden opportunity and I don't want to let it pass me by. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated!

Er.. this lathe would be used for drilling, some shaping, perhaps buffing and turning tenons/stems.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

If you're going to use it for drilling stummels, the first thing you will need is a 4-jaw self-centering chuck (pretty much a necessity) - and I'm not talking about one of Ken Lamb's chucks - just a standard oneway or vicmarc chuck. And you will need a drill chuck with a morse taper adapter. This also comes in handy for chucking up sanding discs for shaping. Add to that a morse taper mandel for attaching buffing wheels and you are well on your way.

I don't turn stems or tenons on mine, but I know some do - maybe they can provide tips for that.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Add a few turning tools to ScoJo's list and you're ready to go! I mainly use a 1/2" roughing gouge, 3/8" fingernail gouge, 1/2" and 1/4" skew chisel, and a 1/8" parting tool. I'd like a 1/16" parting tool but haven't bought one yet.

I use a Oneway chuck with #1 and #2 jaws. The #1 jaws handle stem material and small items like inlays. #2 are good for stummel work. Instead of the morse taper mandrel for buffing. I bought standard mandrels that mount in the drill chuck. one for each buff.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

These items:
And you will need a drill chuck with a morse taper adapter. This also comes in handy for chucking up sanding discs for shaping. Add to that a morse taper mandel for attaching buffing wheels and you are well on your way.

Are they for the head or tail stock?

Thanks and thanks!
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Well, if you get a morse taper adapter for them, they can go in either - though installing the buffing wheel in the tailstock will make buffing difficult.

:P

The shock to me was the cost of the chuck. It can cost more than the lathe! Check this out, though - I just got an email about this today. I don't have any experience with this particular chuck, but you won't find one cheaper that I know of:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10259.html
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My list for a Jet/Delta Mini/Midi:
Oneway chuck
#2 jaws for above
Spigot (#1) jaws for above
Jacobs chuck (fits head and tail stock)
1/2" roughing gouge
1/2" skew chisel
1/4" fingernail gouge
1/8" and 1/16" parting tools
sanding disc holder (or french wheel)
collection of sanding discs
various drill bits
various forstner bits
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

One of you posted the LittleMachineShop.com link, for which I'm still grateful even though my memory limits the expressions of gratitude to the first few moments, after which my mind once again becomes a comfortable blank slate. . . . BUT, in the (downloadable) Mini Lathe User's Guide, they say that most mini lathe parts are interchangeable, and if that's the case, (and if you can spring an extra $150) you might look into a 14" bed (if the one you're looking at is shorter). My Harbor Freight is a 10", and that's just too darned tight. I blew my income tax return on dentist bills for the kids, and now I'm hoping to come across a rich uncle I could bump off, because that 14" bed would be super nice.
Tano

Post by Tano »

While we're on the topic of lathes and chucks...One Way has come out with deep jaws, presently only available for the Stronghold chuck. Has anybody heard whether they will introduce deep jaws that fit the Talon?
I'm using the #2 scroll jaws, but often wish they were deeper for a greater surface grab.
Tano.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tano wrote:While we're on the topic of lathes and chucks...One Way has come out with deep jaws, presently only available for the Stronghold chuck. Has anybody heard whether they will introduce deep jaws that fit the Talon?
Yep! They will be introducing a set for the talon. According to their website it will be later this year.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/accessor ... r_jaws.htm

David
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Cool! Looks like I won't be having my jaws modified after all - this looks like a much cheaper way to go.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thank you one and all for the parts and pieces list. Any insider info on where to look for best pricing?
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Looks like the #2 Profiled Tower Jaws will be an excellent set for holding blocks! I could have used something like this on my last pipe. Can't wait until Oneway comes out with the ones for the Talon!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Tano wrote:While we're on the topic of lathes and chucks...One Way has come out with deep jaws, presently only available for the Stronghold chuck. Has anybody heard whether they will introduce deep jaws that fit the Talon?
I'm using the #2 scroll jaws, but often wish they were deeper for a greater surface grab.
Tano.
I hope they come out with something like this to fit the standard oneway chuck.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ditto that. I keep hoping. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have a new chuck, but I'd rather not have to spend the money.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Standard Oneway and Talon jaws are one in the same. Look at the Oneway website at the other jaw styles - the part numbers listed for the two chucks are the same.

:D
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Just want to thank y'all who gave me the lathe information. It's looking like I'll be making a purchase approximately mid-July... now I gotta figure a way to stop drooling between now and then.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

ScoJo wrote:Standard Oneway and Talon jaws are one in the same. Look at the Oneway website at the other jaw styles - the part numbers listed for the two chucks are the same.

:D