Drilling after shaping?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
hazmat

Drilling after shaping?

Post by hazmat »

I've noticed that some pipe makers do some shaping prior to drilling and some do the opposite. I'm wondering if there are pros/cons for going about it either way?

Curious, as always, to different methods of reaching the same end. Any and all thoughts on this subject, por favor... Personally, I currently drill without making any cuts, just squaring the block.
OleFattGuy

STD?

Post by OleFattGuy »

From what I have gathered the ShapeThenDrill method has the absolute advantage that if you should stumble across any flaws, sandpockets etc it is possible to "nudge" the shape a bit to evade those and then do your drilling. I have tried it once myself but (un-?)fortunately happened to get a "flawless" pipe in the first try so I didn't need to change anything , just drill and be happy ;)
(The fact that I later decided to try rustication on the said pipe, had absolutely nothing to do with flaws, I just felt like it.)
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks for the info.. yes, drill and be happy :) good call. I just like knowing a few different methods of reaching the same end rather than try to limit myself with a "tried and true" method(unless it is truly tried and true)
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

The drill after shaping method is a European approach, particularly in Denmark. I also think that Trevor Talber's web page has a video which shows his approach to this method.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com