Photos of Finished Pipe Number TWO

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Photos of Finished Pipe Number TWO

Post by PapaDuke »

Somebody once said here that they felt they where taking a step backwards?
Well this is my step backwards. The only consolation I have is that someone wants to buy it.

There's parts I like about this pipe but many that I do not.
I'd love to hear your honest opinion?
Please no sugar coating, give it to me straight. I respect all of your opinions from experience.

Well here's what I affectionately call "The Mushroom" or Papa Duke No. 04

And here's why I call it "The Mushroom"
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. It definitely has more going for it than my second pipe, IMO. I'm finishing up number 3 myself so I can understand some of your frustrations. My one critique, a very novice one I might add, is that the flare of brair at the stem seems, IMO, a little too big in ratio to the size and shape of the actual bowl. I do like the mushroomic umbrella but I'm not sure the proportions are what I would like best. I like it overall, though. The various ammunition and animal bits is a nice touch.

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks Josh and you're right.
The umbrella is way too much for the size of the bowl. That's one of the things I don't like about it.

I'm afraid it was one of them...
"Ok Stop carving, Please Stop Carving... STOP IT, just put down the tool!... Uggg! Now you see what you did" kind of days??
:cry:

The main problem guys is the bowl ended up way to narrow.
How small is safe to go? This one is about 1/8th thick at the top edges, but does get bigger where it counts. (as in from the heat of the tobacco)
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

The main issue I have with this piece is that the shank and stem do not follow one line into the bowl. Rather, there is an apparent "kink" at that junction.

I think the 1/8" at the top of the bowl is pretty thin, but should not be an issue as long as you have more meat in the lower part of the bowl. Have you seen Lee Von Erck's pipes? Some of those are REALLY thin at the top.

But then again, I make war clubs so what do I know. Mine all seem to have significant heft to them.

:lol:
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

War Clubs?
That sounds like my first pipe!

I couldn't agree more with you Scojo.
Yet this is one area that I really had no part of. I'm afraid I used a kit for the pipe and things just didn't line up correctly.
The line of the shank actually follows the line drilled. I don't think I had enough room to really compensate for that?

I have to run a pipe cleaner through it tonight and see how bad it is?

Over all it's ugly and way off on just about everything but it will smoke! haha..
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

When all else fails...
Carve a pot leaf in it and sell it to a hippie for $40.00!!
haha. . .