Went back to the drawing board this weekend.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Went back to the drawing board this weekend.

Post by PapaDuke »

Just didn't like some things about this pipe

So I went at it again. . .
I'm actually embarrassed with how it looked above. But I'm still learning so I know the time will come that the one below will embarrass me as well?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think you did good by changing the rustication and color a bit. IMO the key to a good rustication is getting it to where it does not look "tooled" but instead as though the wood was naturaly that way. Of course like every rule, there are those guys out there who break it with really nice results. As general advice I think it still holds up.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks Artguy that's the kind of things I need to hear.
Being new at this and all.

By the way,
I'm totally in love with your "Queixo" pipe.
On a personal level I would end up smoking that pipe had I carved it!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I totally agree with John (ArtGuy). The more agressive rustication is the way to go. The pipe looks more professional, in my eyes.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

I like the new rustification a lot better too. Nice job.

Yes, there is a whole lot to learn about crafting pipes, but that's also why it's so much fun, and hopefully at some point, rewarding! I'm still looking to make a pipe without any major issues, let alone minor ones, but I'm getting closer with each one, or at least making different mistakes. :roll:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

sethile wrote:I'm still looking to make a pipe without any major issues, let alone minor ones, but I'm getting closer with each one, or at least making different mistakes. :roll:
My experience is that as I progress in pipemaking I have become more adept at recovering from mistakes rather than adept at avoiding them. I suppose I do make less of them, but the main difference is that I can now recover from all sorts of oopsies.

Nice modification Papa. It is now an even more impressive first effort.

Tyler
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks everyone.
I've got two more "kits" coming this week, one of them being Plateaux.
So I'm excited to start into another one!

Hopefully one day I can get the equipment to start building them from scratch. I have some ideas that I want to try and can't do it from a kit.
For now they work out pretty good.

Live, Carve and Learn!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Tyler wrote:
sethile wrote:I'm still looking to make a pipe without any major issues, let alone minor ones, but I'm getting closer with each one, or at least making different mistakes. :roll:
My experience is that as I progress in pipemaking I have become more adept at recovering from mistakes rather than adept at avoiding them. I suppose I do make less of them, but the main difference is that I can now recover from all sorts of oopsies.

Nice modification Papa. It is now an even more impressive first effort.

Tyler
One of my tattoo artists told me one time that there is no perfect tattoo artist, there are only artists who are good at fixing their mistakes 8)

Sound familiar? :lol:
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Big improvement! You are an inspiration to newbie pipemakers (like me) everywhere, great work!

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thank you Josh,
I was a bit reluctant to touch it again but so glad I did.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thought you all would like to know that the Pipe sold for $60.09 on eBay yesterday.

Not bad that will get me close to three more kits!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

There is now friggin way on earth I could have gotten 60 bucks for my first pipe. Especially on ebay where things rarely sell for what they are worth. Way to go :thumb:
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I think you're the first person I know of that sold the first pipe they ever made. Congrats!
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Congratulations on the sale! I'm in the same boat, going to try to sell my next few on e-bay simply so I can afford to make more!

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks guys,
I figured I better sell it so I can get enough briar to make some more. Maybe one day I'll actually keep and smoke something I made?? :D

As far as making $60.00 on the pipe...
I had a really good broker "Dain Archer from The Pipe Merchant” http://www.thepipemerchant.com that might have made all the difference in the world. I know the guy has a huge following of people watching his site, so I really think he was the one who drove them to the listing to bid??
I pay him 20% and he absorbs all the cost of eBay and PayPal and takes care of the posting, correspondence and the auction. You can't beat that with a stick!