Had to test some briar, soo....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Had to test some briar, soo....

Post by KurtHuhn »

So, I've got this huge lot of briar that's just about reaching the point where it should be dry enough to work, but I can't just go and make a pipe out of it to sell to a customer if it's going to taste like a monkey's hindquarters. And, seeing as how I haven't made a pipe for myself that wasn't an experiemental shape or a recovery from a major error, I decided I'd try out a shape that I personally have been wanting. This is the pipe:

This particular briar tends to have minor flaws, making it ideal for sandblasting. It also has a very random grain pattern, which becomes *tons* more interesting when blasted.

I got the idea while working on a couple interpretations of a Savinelli 101 for a customer. I figured that a bent 101 would be awesome looking, and the addition of a saddle bit could make it very comfortable while keeping the overall size and weight down.

The pipe is short, it's only 4.75 inches long, but it's ideal for putting in a jacket pocket, and despite the size of the chamber (.875 diamter by 1.6 deep) it's very light and comfortable. I'm really happy with the shape, and I'm adding it to my "catalog shapes" that folks can order from any time.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
flix

Post by flix »

Kurt,

That bit looks extremely comfortable, very nice!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks, Flix.

That bit is actuall a little thicker than what I normally make. That bit is about .14 inch thick. My normal thickness is anywhere from .10 to .13 inch. It sounds like a small difference - until you put it in your mouth. Even at .14, the bit fairly disappears in my lips.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

I agree with Flix it does look very comfortable.
Nice job! How does it smoke?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The briar surprised me. Both C&D Bailey's Front Porch and McLelland Dark Star were so-so smokes, but Tobacco Galleria (Altadis) Fox & Hound was AWESOME. This afternoon I'll pack it with C&D Bayou Night and see how it handles perique.

I suspect that the so-so smokes with Bailey's and Dark Star were due to the fact that this is a *big* tobacco chamber, and I typically smoke those tobaccos in smaller "flake" bowls. But, the thin ribbon cut of Fox & Hound lent itself better to my smoking style for big pipes. To each smoker his own, however, and my experience could be in stark contrast to someone else.

But, at least this batch of briar doesn't taste bad or anything. In fact, I think that it contributes a rich, full flavor to orientals or latakia - which is why I want to give it a shot with perique.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Glad to hear that.

See I learn something new every day being around here.
I took it for face value that you get a piece of briar and that is that?
Didn't know I had to worry about if the briar is cured correctly so that it taste good.

BTW, Love your site. Lots of great info and very well designed.
Easy to navigate and has eye appeal.
And THANK YOU for your contribution to the Hurricane Katrina Relief work.
I'm happy to see that the pipe did so well at auction.
Since I live in Ocean Springs, Mississippi (Next town to Biloxi) this subject hits close to home. Thanks!
If you're interested here's the website address for my town that I built and maintain for the city http://www.OceanSprings-MS.com
Had I known you was doing this I could have giving you some pictures for the auction to help.
Though, $425.00 looks like you didn't need any help.
Great job and Great Pipe!
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

That's a great looking pipe Kurt!

That's impressive getting your bits so thin! I use a 1/16" drill bit (.0625) for the last 1" or so of the stem. If I go down to .130" that only leaves approximately .032 (+ or - .005 or so) on either side of the slot. Have you had any bite throughs or trouble like that?

Again, that's a great looking pipe!

Dave
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Interesting... I see you got a chance to sandblast one of those "twig knots" (er whatever they're called, the place where a twig grew out of the burl and it gets one of those real defined swirls in the grain). It came out really nice after blasting.

Nice pipe!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Papaduke,
Briar, depending on were it's grown and how it's processed, can range from completely neutral to tasting like grizzly bear's butt. That's why it's important to test each batch of briar if you buy direct from the cutter - just to be sure everything is okay.

Dave,
I use a 1mm bit to cut the slot. It leaves a very open draw with a 5/32" airway, so I don't feel the need to go larger. And unlike Jeff "manly hands" Gracik, I've never broken a 1mm bit. :) I used to use a 1/16" bit, but I decided to go smaller so that I could cut the bit thinner. Just that little bit seems to mae all the difference in the world.

Ben,
This spanish briar has *very* random grain. It's just simply not much to look at if you leave it smooth, but it becomes 10x more interesting if you blast it. It also seem to take a blast a little better than the Algerian stuff, which is fine, since the algerian briar has great grain. The spiral pattern in the blast on this pipe is really cool - pictures can't seem to capture it very well. And it's quickly becoming one of my favorite pipes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very nice pipe Kurt! I don't often like short pipes, but I really like the shape of this one, and love the idea of having a big bowl in a relatively small pipe like that. Very nice stem, and the bit looks perfect to me! My next big challange is trying a hand cut stem. Wow, a 1mm bit long enough for stems? Yikes!. Good to hear about that, though... I'm trying to get set up for hand cut stems and will order one along with the 1/16th. You're right, the grain seems to really pop out under the blast (man do I want a blasting rig!). Very glad to hear it's smoking well! Oh gosh.... does especially well with Latikias? Oh boy, my favorite! Actually, I find most of my pipes do well with Latikias, but only one out every four or so do well with Virginias, and those I tend to dedicate to them. So Kurt, if you need a second opinion on that briar I can easily PM you address :wink:

Sure wish I had a real large lot of aging briar I needed to test! :boohoo:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------