Crosby Gordura

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Crosby Gordura

Post by ArtGuy »

Hi all, I just finished up a fat little rusticated jobber....

5.5 inches long
2 inches tall
.75 inch chamber diameter
1.5 inches deep
boxwood accent
1.8 oz or 51 grams

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Dang it John...I don't know why I even bother with making pipes. How can I even call my hacks a pipe compared to something like that???

Awesome pipe, just awesome. You make killer pipes, what else can I say. I will go sit at my work bench and cry now.... :cry:
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If it makes you feel better I had to make two stems for that pipe as I ruined the first by sanding down to the airway
Nick

Post by Nick »

I HATE that!

Errr ... the sanding in the air way, not the pipe. The pipe is awesome.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

As my boys say, "Sweeet."
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Sanding down to the airway was not good enough John. I still cried on my briar. Man I gotta get my flippin' lathe setup....

Once again John, I can't say it enough, you are making awesome pipes. I love everyone that you knock out. You are definately hitting them out of the park.

Awesome work...congrats!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

John, did you sand through the one you were working on at Kirk's place? Or did you sand through one before that? That's a really sweet looking pipe. I am becoming a real fan of the boxwood.

Did you turn the rim on that pipe, or is that a large countersink?

Nice job again, man. Awesome.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Thanks guys, I feel like my work is starting to hit a new level now. The stem. I was buffing up at Bosi's was the stem that is on it now. The one I was working on before I had all done and barly broke into the airway whenl I was buffing it with triopoli.

I always bevel the rim with turning tools while it is on the lathe right after drilling the chamber. That way I can turn the bevel, hit it with sand paper (220, 320, 400) while it is spinning and then I never touch again until I stain it.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

That's awesome. I tried turning a bowl once and the first time I tried it I caught it at the wrong angle and it came right out of the chuck and put a dent in my garage door.

I haven't gotten the nerve to try it again.

:naughty:
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Oh I just turn that little bevel on there. That is about the extend of my wood turning prowress. :dunno:

All that other stuff like the bowood and such is done freehand on the disk. I do turn the flute on the front of the stem with a 3/8" bowl gouge. Just like the bevel, when I am done turning, I hit that with 220, 320 and 400 while it spins, but, then I hit it with tripoli and buff the compound off with a paper towel. Then I never touch it again.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

ArtGuy wrote:Oh I just turn that little bevel on there. . . .
Good trick. Gotta look back at my scrapbook and see how that idea can be used on other bowl trims. Thanks.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Beautiful pipe John! I love the stem colors with your rustification and stain tones. The boxwood is a wonderful contrast to them, and I like the stubby fatness. I like the bevel on the bowl too, as well as shape of the boxwood and stem. Very nice pipe!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------