Volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NvilleDave

Volcano

Post by NvilleDave »

I've been really busy lately and haven't had any time to make pipes. This pipe has been on been on my bench for a LONG time.

Take care all,
Dave
marks

Post by marks »

And when you do get time, you use it wisely. Very nice, Dave, very nice.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Dave,

First rate- impeccible and original rendition. Finish is first class. I'm giving you a standing ovation!! Encore!!!

Brad
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That is an incredible pipe Dave! You should find more time for pipemaking, that's awesome.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very nice pipe Dave! I love the shape. Very nice lines, and some nice ring grain in there for the blast (man, do I ever want a blasting rig!). The stem is excellent. Yes, by all means, you need to make more time for pipe making. Very glad to see this one make it off the bench!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Respect in every aspect!
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Wow! I'll PM you my address, because I'm sure you were thinking of sending it to me! :wink:

OK, maybe not, but I do like that pipe a LOT!

Tyler
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks you guys! This was my take on a Bo Nordh shape I saw awhile back. I'm very please with how it came out--I wasn't able to get the shank as thinly profiled as Bo's though. I gave this one to a good friend of mine from Church and I'm looking forward to hearing a smoking report on it.

The one BIG thing I still continue to struggle with is production--it takes me an incredibly long time to produce a pipe--to the point where it effects my motivation. The problem may be that I'm not skilled enough on the disk sander... I spend too much time with files and sand-paper. When I have a pipe that is turing out nicely I'm afraid to take it anywhere near the sanding wheel for fear of screwing it up. Anyone else struggle with this kind of thing?

Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It takes time to get comfortable with that stuff. I use a belt sander running at over 60MPH to shape pipes - it took me about a year to really become confident with that tool.

I recently started using a disc sander for final shaping. Run the disc at about 850-1200, and it removes less material and gives you time to examine the pipe as your shaping it.

I found that I had to force myself to use the discs. Once I did that, I was able to speed thing up considerably, and even get much better shapes out it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Dave,

I can empathize- here's the solution. Take a whole block (that you aren't in love with!) to the disk and start shaping a pipe with no holes drilled into it. Try to find the grain and follow it. If it comes out nicely, give me a call.

Brad
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I used to be the same way. I bet a year ago 75% of my shaping was by hand with files. There is nothing really wrong with that, however, as you noted, it hampers production. I decided to make an effort to develop my technique with the disk and not worry about ruining a pipe or two (or 3 or 4... :D ) I now do all of my shaping on the disk and only finish sand by hand. It still takes me a few days to make a pipe but I can get now one done in a week on my spare time. Which compared to before is really good.

The beauty of pipemaking is that the better you get the nicer your pipes look and the faster you can make them.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

oh.... and that is a tremendous pipe. Who cares how long it takes to make it.. that thing rox!
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks for the pointers guys. Brad, I might take you up on that offer. I've been wanting to try the shaping before drilling technique for awhile now. This weekend I may just go for it.

Best everyone,
Dave
munkey

Post by munkey »

Bravo, Dave - that pipe is awesome.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Awesome pipe bud. And don't talk to me about the amount of time a pipe takes! It takes me a few months to finish one.