Does anybody know of a blend similar???

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
bvartist

Does anybody know of a blend similar???

Post by bvartist »

Hi All,

Back in my college days (20+ years ago) I used to smoke a house blend from a long departed local tobacco shop and was wondering if anyone has smoked something similar. (description below) There's so many blends out there it would take me years to find one on my own, might be an enjoyable experience though! :D But I thought I'd ask and see if someone has run across anything close.

The blend was mostly light colored ribbon ranging from pale to red-brown. (I'm guessing a couple different Virginias) with a small amount of darker brown flakes, not as dark as Latakia. It had a sweet, nutty flavor that reminded me of roasted pecans with a hint of spice but not the peppery flavor of perique, more like nutmeg or allspice. The flavor was sweet, but not the sticky sweet of an aromatic, just "tobacco" sweet. I was told the room note was almost undetectable and smelled also of roasted nuts. I asked the tobacconist what was in the blend but he wasn't willing to share his secrets. He did however say that the blend was not cased with any flavoring and all the tastes came from the tobaccos used in his blend. It was a mild-medium body smoke somewhat similar to GLPease Montgomery but with the hint of spicyness. I've tried several VA blends but so far nothing that comes close to this. I'll keep looking, but maybe one of you guys has smoked something close? Or is it just a pipedream to find this blend again? :pipe:

Searching for that "perfect" smoke(for me!)
David
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi David,
Unless you are already aware of this wonderful web site, you should look it up. I have found it very helpfull. I like to minimize the odds of getting stuck with a tobacco that I don't like, plus you can request speciffic blends.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm
Good luck!
Tano.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Tano,

I've spent some time on that site looking through the reviews but haven't found any blend that other people have had similar experience with. I'm assuming the blend I'm looking for is a Virginia/Oriental, or even some small crop condimental tobacco that may or may not even be available. Wish I'd have stockpiled about 50 pounds of that stuff because it was an interesting, unusual smoke.

Thanks
David