Etude #5, a Lovat (sort of)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sethile

Etude #5, a Lovat (sort of)

Post by sethile »

Thanks to my good friend and instrument maker, Dan Knowles, I got to play around with a lathe for this one. I made lots of mistakes, and had a bad block, but this was an excellent learning experience. I decided to take advantage of the lathe and try a pipe with a longer shank.
I think this ended up being more or less a Lovat. Unfortunately, as I bored and turned I discovered thus ebauchon had major flaws, some of them in the chamber itself, but I elected to finish the pipe anyway for the experience.

I knew I wanted a lathe, but never more than now! This 6" Atlas metal working lathe is for sale, but this shank was as long as I could do on it, the throw on the tail stock was very short, and it was difficult to position, and the travel on the tool rest was a bit roof. So I'm still looking. I was hoping to find an old metal working lathe that would work well for stummels as well as stems, but I'm starting to see why so many of you end up with two lathes! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the money together, but want to know what to shoot for. Any chance of getting one lathe that works well for both stummels and stems without spending a fortune?

The insert is Yellow Heart (I think). I hope to get some Boxwood before too long. I also have some Paduck, and now I'm wondering if the deep red of the Paduck might have tied in nicely with the red highlights where I buffed off the black stain of the high points of the rustification.
While still not great, the rustification turned out much better than my other attempts. I did this using the tool made from concrete nails as described by Tyler here:
http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... ustication
He mentions it originally came from Brian Ruthenberg. Really works great compared to other things I've tried. After liberal use of the tool I went over it with a fine wire wheel. I buffed some of the back die off after it had dried, which yielded some decent dark red highlights.
I did a little better with keeping things symmetrical this time, but still have a long ways to go. The narrowing of the shank is intentional although I am now starting to regret it. I'm not happy at all with the bottom of the bowl in relation to the shank, but I ran out of room. The story here is I could not see well, having forgotten to bring a flashlight with me, so I ended up drilling the chamber a little too deep. That made me concerned about getting the bottom of the bowl too thin, otherwise I would have taken a little more off the bottom of the bowl. I think that would have worked better with the shank.

The pipe is tilted in the pics bellow, and that makes the stem look off center with the bowl, when in real life it's very close.
Specs in inches:The bowl 1.4 wide and 1.63 high. The chamber diameter is .75 (3/4) by 1.45 deep. The overall length is 6.2.

Having forgot to bring a flashlight I ended up getting the chamber a little past the draught hole. I've also discovered part of my chamber alignment problems seem to be the related to the Pimo modified spade bit I have is ground slightly off center. All my chambers end up with exactly the same slight drift at the bottom, even after getting most of the way there with a HSS jobbers bit.

I was going to try a hand cut stem, but ran out of time with the lathe. Hope to do that next time. Thanks to all the great info here, I used Delrin for the tenon on this one, and also modified it some. I really like the fit and feel of the Delrin, and it sure was a lot easier than trying to get a good fit with the PTT. I still want to learn to cut an entire stem from scratch on the lathe without using the Delrin. Still wondering about the asthetics of using Delrin instead of cutting in the tenon, but it sure enough works great!

So, another great learning experience. Making some progress, with much more to be made, and having a great time all the while... Please tear it up folks. I'm here to learn!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Scott,

Very very nice! That stinks about the flaws in the chamber, but a good learning experience indeed. Good looking pipe.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice buddy. The stem seems a bit long for a lovat, but otherwise it looks great.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks guys... Nick, you're right about the stem. It's definitley too long. Lots of times I can modify what I've got, but I didn't have what I needed this time. I'm really looking forward to being able to hand cut stems.

I'm having a heck of a time with draught hole alignment. #6 is on the bench now, and it's the worse allignment yet! Way off to one side. I'm starting to think my layout technique is flawed. Think I'll post a querry in the stummel area. A shame because I'm more or less happy with the shape on this new one. Sort of a large modified bent bent apple with a long Bocate insert. Has some nice grain, but one huge flaw and a couple of smaller ones. Not sure how to finish it yet. :dunno:

Gosh there is a lot to learn. I had no idea the challenges this would be-- great fun! Sure does make me appreciate the great work you guys are doing!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------