Chuck modifications

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
tomgjone

Chuck modifications

Post by tomgjone »

Hey Guys,
I am using a metal lathe for my work and I am using a 4-jaw self-centering chuck. I have removed 2 jaws and I am loseing blocks all over the place.
Is there any modifications that I can do to this chuck (it is 4 inch) to help me with this problem? I sure could use some ideas.
I just can't afford to go Ken Lambs chuck alto I like that idea.
Thank You
Tom
munkey

Post by munkey »

Hey Tom,

There are pics of jaws I had modified HERE

The guy who modified them for me is Trent Rudat and he charges about $200. I have been pleased with mine so far. He can be reached here:
trudat1970(at)netzero.net
tomgjone

Post by tomgjone »

Thank You Munky,
I am going to try to get a hold of that guy today. I really like that idea.
Thank You
Tom
munkey

Post by munkey »

Sure thing.

If you aren't able to get ahold of him via email drop me a PM and I can get you his phone number.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Metal lathe chucks don't have jaws deep enough for holding briar very effetively - they just don't sick out from the face of the chuck far enough. And they're smooth on the gripping service, so they don't have good grip.

The Talon, Oneway, or other chucks can be bought with #2 profiled jaws that are good for holding most blocks when you only use two of them. I also recently saw a great set pf jaws from Vicmarc that I want, but that involves buying a new chuck. :?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

what vicmarc jaws are you talking about Kurt?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Pooka wrote:Alright, newbie lathe-operator here. Before I buy this monstrosity, can I do all the turning work I need (stummel AND stem) with a regular old 4-jaw chuck (i'm looking at the Cummings Mini Metal Lathe), or do I need a special type (talon-one-way-thingy)? Can I get away with just the factory 4-jaw and turn basic stummels and stems?

It's rather tiring to surf all over the net without a clear answer.

Thanks,

Rob
You can't (easily) turn stems with an independent 4-jaw either. It's better to use a 3 or 4-jaw that is self-centering so you don't waste valuable time and energy trying to center something that cannot be perfectly centered by hand.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ArtGuy wrote:what vicmarc jaws are you talking about Kurt?
These ones here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... y=191-3803

They're about the same size as the Oneway #2 jaws, but at least twice as deep. I'm considering getting a Vicmark chuck just so that I can easily chuck an oddball stummel when I want to.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Huh, I suppose they won't a oneway eh? You know, for the price of a chuck and jaws you could have Trent Rudat ( trudat1970(at)netzero.net )modify your oneway #2 jaws. I think that is what I am going to do.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Quite right, but then I'll still only have one chuck. :wink:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

True but the modified jaws would be flat and not concave. Do you think the curved nature of the vicmarc jaws would actually limit what you could grab? I would think for the money I would rather have jaws that crab on a wide flat surface like a vice.

You are more experienced than I with wood turning in general. What do you think?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thos Vicmarc jaws have a serrated surface on the interior, which really helps grab things. I like the #2 Oneway jaws for this reason. However, the Vicmarc jaws son't appear to have the same contour as the Oneway, and that may pose a problem for gripping non-flat or non-round blocks. Hmm. I just noticed that difference. It looks like a small difference, but in practice, I think it would be major. :think:

Maybe I just need to ask my father-in-law to modify my #2 jaws....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com