Drill Bits For Tobacco And Draft Hole

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
WBill

Drill Bits For Tobacco And Draft Hole

Post by WBill »

I'm trying tho get most things I need so I can start making pipes. I don't have any drill bits for the tobacco chamber and draft hole. I was wondering what the "NORMAL" size bits would be for these ?

I know it depends on what type of pipe I'm going to make but I need to buy two or three bits for each purpuse just to get started.

Thanks Bill
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

A good way for a beginner to get orientated with what is "normal" is to go to sites like Pimo's and see what sizes they have for sale. Or, you could always go to a pipe shop (or look at your own pipes) see what pipes you like then measure them.
jeff

Post by jeff »

If I'm not mistaken, PIMO's book was in the narrow draught hole camp claiming 1/8" to be on the lower end of acceptable. I haven't been doing this for a terribly long time, but long enough to know that 1/8" is not, or should not ( :naughty: ) be acceptable. Most pipemakers will use bits ranging between 9/64 - 11/64. I wouldn't go bigger than that. My pipes are all engineered with 5/32 draught holes that taper and widen toward the button.

Oh, there is of course the Rich Newcombe/Tony Rodriguez/Jim Benjamin camp that uses huge draught holes for a more "open" draw. The advantage of this school of thought and engineering is that you can use animal pelts as pipecleaners. :)

:angel:

Jeff
WBill

Post by WBill »

I know with my store bought pipes when I first light the tobacco that sometimes I will get a flake or two in my mouth coming up through the stem. How do they keep this from happening, I mean more than just a flake or two, if they use such large holes ?

Bill
jeff

Post by jeff »

This occurs with $30 Stanwells and $4000 Ivarssons. Unless you install a screen, it will always happen, and screens usually indicate the smoking of another, non-tobacco substance. :) You can never really guarantee that this will not occur. However, you can smoke a different cut of tobacco. Flakes, ribbons, twists, etc. will have less chance of creating this problem. But, with really any tobacco you will have some smaller cuttings that make it in the bowl. You might want to consider being more selective with the tobacco you place in the lower 1/3 of the bowl (making sure that the smaller particles are fewer or absent). Then use the smaller pieces in the top of the bowl to get the pipe going well at the start.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:Oh, there is of course the Rich Newcombe/Tony Rodriguez/Jim Benjamin camp that uses huge draught holes for a more "open" draw. The advantage of this school of thought and engineering is that you can use animal pelts as pipecleaners. :)
I recently use a 3/16 draught hole on a pipe jsut to see if what those guys suggested was any good. Well, I won't say it's not good for anyone, but it's no good for me. I felt like I had to puff twice just to get one good draw of smoke. IMO, the airway was too open, causing me to work too hard on the opposite end of the spectrum in order to smoke the pipe. Too much puffing....

Like Jeff, I use a 5/32" airway. A couple years ago I used 1/8" airways, but after some experiementation, I dropped that like a hot coal.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Crud, I meant to anser the original question. The "normal" sizes for tobacco chambers are 3/4" and 7/8" - according to what I've seen around. Those are the most common, anyway. However, there are all manner of sizes.

The draught holes range from 1/8" to 3/16". I think you'll find most american carvers using 5/32" as that seems to be the best balance of smooth draw and low enough volume that breath smoking comes naturally.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

For the tobacco chamber, I primarily use 3/4, and will occasionally use 7/8. For the draft hole, I use 11/64. But I agree, 5/32 seems to be more prevalent.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Newcome and Co. use 3/16 for their draugh holes. I tried it too, and it was OK, but I like 5/32 a bit better. I also use a tapered 5/32 bit in the stem.
rathpipe

Tobacco chamber diameter

Post by rathpipe »

I bought some tobacco chamber bits from Ken Lamb and am having good luck with them. I only make pipes for myself, family and friends so my tobacco chamber diameter is geared for the individual. I like a 7/8 diameter as it is much easier for me to pack. A 3/4 inch is just a bit small for me to load, easily. For a smaller pipe I still use the 3/4 inch and just tough it out.

Larry
SmokingArea

Post by SmokingArea »

I've been interested in this draft hole question too. My favorite pipes are the ones with the easiest draw. Once I move up to drilling my own blocks I'll probably shoot for 5/32 or maybe 11/64, but making my own stems is way way down the line so I'll be using pre-made stems. Is there a standard size they usually drilled at near the tenon? What is that size?

I'm under the impression if it doesnt match the size in the stummel, there will be problems with turbulance resulting in condensation, gurgling, etc. What's the fix for this?
flix

Post by flix »

I also use a tapered 5/32 bit in the stem
Nick, where did you get the tapered bit? thanks...
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

flix... http://www.bitsnbores.com

you can get durned near any drill bit you need there