On the bench (before the move)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

On the bench (before the move)

Post by bscofield »

This was the pipe I was working on before my move. I can probably setup my buffer to finish this one, just have to find the time. Since it's unfinished, what do you all think of the shape? I suppose it's a sort of billiard with a half saddle and a very small bend in the stem... My only thoughts on it thus far is that I need to rusticate the whole thing. What do you think?

LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I like the lines of the stem. Is that shank an inlay or just polished briar part of the stummel?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Flow and lines are beautiful. I like half saddles. In my nonworthy opinion, the part of the stem with the full diameter should be somewhat longer. Hard to tell if this would disturb overall proportions, but compared to the lighter colored part of the shank, it feels too short in some way. Looks like some kind of remains rather than a detail that is meant to be that small.
This might apply only if the overall color scheme of that pipe will stay the way it is. If the shank will be dark in the end, it might be a different thing.
And anyway proportions are – at least to some extent – a matter of personal taste.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ben,

That is a very nice looking pipe!

I think you are correct in feeling that the rest of the shank should be rusticated. For partial rustication, IMO, it needs to stop at a stopping point, like the shank/bowl join, rather than in the middle of somewhere for no reason.

I think it would also get rid of the illusion of the saddle appearing a bit short, as Alexander pointed out.

Good work!

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:I like the lines of the stem. Is that shank an inlay or just polished briar part of the stummel?
it's a (temporarily) unrusticated part of the shank.

so, then the question becomes whether or not to take the rustication all the way to the the stem or to leave a ring... hmm...
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Leave a ring and a spot for stamping.

Rad
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yes, and if the ring would be as wide as the saddle part of the stem – that might be it!
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

RadDavis wrote:and a spot for stamping.
DOH! :x