The Pipe of Five Stems

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

The Pipe of Five Stems

Post by Nick »

I was convinced that this pipe would forever be a stummel. It seemed almost cursed. But eventually the pipe relented and allowed me to complete a stem for it. Man, stemwork is a total bitch! The first stem was coming along great. I don't remember exactly why, but I had it nearly done, and needed to chuck it back up. Well i was adjusting it in the chuck and SNAP!!! "It happes," I though. So on to stem number two. I had the rod turned down and SNAP, the drill bit broke off in the rod. "Shit!!" Number three... I don't remember much of number three really, but something went wrong. i'm sure i swore vociferously. I think i've repressed the incident though. OOHH!! Thats right, 3 was all shaped up and I sanded into the airway. In despiration I tried to melt some lucite onto the low spot, but as I am sure you all know that its a futal effort. Number 4 was litteral all done. I was doing the last bit of buffing when WHAP! The pipe was wrenched from my grip and tossed mercilessly to the floor. In hindsight, I think the stem sacrificed itself inorder to save the stummel, as there wasn't even a scratch on the wood. Finally, number five came through. WOOHOOOOOO!!!!

So, here's the pipe:

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Nice one Nick...a long road but what a fine ending!

Great looking pipe!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

It came out great Nick--definetly worth the stem Oddyesee. I had one like that awhile back that laid on my bench for months however, not a happy ending.