How many "file-made pipes" before upgrading to lathe?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
dogcatcher

Re: How many "file-made pipes" before upgrading to lathe?

Post by dogcatcher »

I have a $16 angle grinder from Harbor Freight. Speed controlled with a $18 router speed controller. Several grit sanding discs, with a homemade belt sander attachment. Less than a $100 for all of it. I would like a better sanding disc with a flexible backing but this is a hobby and even I cannot justify the cost.
Kooky

Post by Kooky »

I know everybody has to start somewhere. I gave up on this until now, disappointed because I just don’t have the space in the suburbs. I am also very particular and know I’ll never be able to get a metal lathe for making stems. The only place people that live in these mass produced hells often have is the garage, which has been converted to a relative’s room, in my case.

I might get garbage equipment and set it all up neatly on a moving trolley style cart, where I can work without having to move anything but the trolley, and plug in a single cable.

That way I can work outside and it’ll be obvious enough if a Florida downpour is coming.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Just for your information, there is a pipe maker in Italy- Antonio Gesualdi who makes his pipes using a rasp and forms.
He makes quite a few pipes.
If you check out his posts on FB you can see his methods.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Kooky

Post by Kooky »

Thanks for the information. Maybe I will contact him because it is easier to make them with non-electric tools, in my current case. I am not against them, as a matter of fact I want them, but I don’t have the space and the romanticism of the low tech pipe crafter is still present for me.