Briar jaws - 1 3/4 x 8 spindle

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Walldepartment

Briar jaws - 1 3/4 x 8 spindle

Post by Walldepartment »

How do I get some briar jaws onto a spindle thread of 1 3/4 x 8?
Sasquatch

Re: Briar jaws - 1 3/4 x 8 spindle

Post by Sasquatch »

1 3/4" diameter and 8tpi you mean? That's big. Do you have any sort of chuck for it?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Walldepartment

Post by Walldepartment »

Yeah that’s what I mean. Yeah, a 3 jaw chuck and a 4 jaw chuck that came with it. After posting, I did find posts of you saying to chuck a briar chuck into a 3 jaw. If that’s what I have to do, then that’s what I’ll do.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's the easiest solution, because it leaves you able to spin rod in the 3 jaw chuck (something the 2 jaw, a torn down 4 jaw, isn't as good at, and you'd have to take the jaws off and fuck around with it anyway).

So it's going to cost a bit, but buying a Oneway talon chuck, basically some random adaptor to spin onto it (which is what you are going to grab with the 3 jaws), and a set of briar jaws from your favorite supplier, and you are good to go.

So there's probably 500 bucks in that, new.

There are also chucks like Rudat's chuck that just fit into the jaws of the 3 jaw vise, that have a "stick" on the back of the chuck to grab, but again, 400 or 500 bucks unless you can find a used one (and they do exist, lots of guys get into this and then get out again).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Jeepnewbie

Post by Jeepnewbie »

What type of lathe are you using? Sounds like the same spindle size of the lathe I have, a grizzly metal lathe. Over at briar pipe tooling you can get a chuck to fit your lathe. Or if you have extra jaws you can possibly send them in to be modified. I personally haven’t done this yet as I was looking for a adapter to fit my other chuck.
“Keep It Classy”
Walldepartment

Post by Walldepartment »

A grizzly metal lathe. I was able to have Oneway make an adapter for my oneway chuck.
Ahi Ka

Post by Ahi Ka »

Any advice as to what shape/size the random adaptor going from the scroll chuck into the 3 jaw should be?