Birthday present to my sister

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Peecis

Birthday present to my sister

Post by Peecis »

Hello, Im a little hesitant to share this one because its not perfect. My sis told me last minute she wanted a pipe for her bithday so making it was a bit time sensitive. Im still waiting for my first batch of briar so I worked with what I had. Stummel is made of what I believe to be african mahogany. Stem is made of ebonite with a long copper ring. Last minute whipped up a matching tamper. Im am not experienced at pipe making so all possible critique is greatly welcomed! Thank you in advance.
Puff Puff... Puff
LatakiaLover

Re: Birthday present to my sister

Post by LatakiaLover »

If that's your first-ever pipe you have either worked with hand tools in some other area like leather carving, making jewelry boxes, etc. OR you have a lot of raw talent. :D

Your eye for line is excellent, your execution is remarkable (if indeed you are a true beginner).

The only "jump off the screen" issue is some excess material on the stem. It looks unfinished.

If all the black OUTSIDE the white lines was removed---especially where the arrows are pointing---the overall sleekness and balance of the pipe would be significantly enhanced.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Peecis

Post by Peecis »

LatakiaLover, thank you a lot for your reply. Your good words are very flattering and fuel for me to keep going. Its not my first pipe, I have made a few experimenting with drilling, shaping etc. but this is my 3rd you could actually call a pipe. Yes, stems are very tricky for me, especially the slit. Its abot 2,3mm on this pipe. I have another pipe I have not yet finnished and for life of me I couldnt get the slit any thinner than 2mm.
Puff Puff... Puff
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Peecis wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:02 am Yes, stems are very tricky for me, especially the slit. Its abot 2,3mm on this pipe. I have another pipe I have not yet finnished and for life of me I couldnt get the slit any thinner than 2mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwt95H ... Sp&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoAFf2 ... Sp&index=7
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I like this pipe, especially for a 3rd pipe. Some of us haven’t done that well after 20 pipes.
I also think it is remarkable that you were able to make a stem from rod at this stage- again something that I didn’t attempt until I had a lot of pipes done. I am still fiddling with getting slots right at about 200 pipes.
I might suggest that if your sister plans to carry that tamper anywhere, she might appreciate a cap over the sharp end.
Nice job.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Peecis

Post by Peecis »

DocAitch wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:39 pm I like this pipe, especially for a 3rd pipe. Some of us haven’t done that well after 20 pipes.
I also think it is remarkable that you were able to make a stem from rod at this stage- again something that I didn’t attempt until I had a lot of pipes done. I am still fiddling with getting slots right at about 200 pipes.
I might suggest that if your sister plans to carry that tamper anywhere, she might appreciate a cap over the sharp end.
Nice job.
DocAitch
Thanks! Yeah I doubt she will carry the pipe around, probably gonna keep it on a shelf to show her friends and pretend to be a little more sophisticated :D But I'll let her know, you never know maybe she'll become a regular puffer.
Puff Puff... Puff
Peecis

Post by Peecis »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:43 pm
Peecis wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:02 am Yes, stems are very tricky for me, especially the slit. Its abot 2,3mm on this pipe. I have another pipe I have not yet finnished and for life of me I couldnt get the slit any thinner than 2mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qwt95H ... Sp&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoAFf2 ... Sp&index=7
Thank you a lot, very informative. I'll try to fing one of those duck decoy drills. Tried this method with a regular bit and broke it. Maybe I was just too impatient.
Puff Puff... Puff