can you teach me a method to adorn a pipe stem with a metal pipe ring?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Artemisius

can you teach me a method to adorn a pipe stem with a metal pipe ring?

Post by Artemisius »

I don't have a lot of equipment. Just a chuck attached to a drill, and a lot of hand tools. Do you have any suggestions on how to make a metal pipe ring with this poor equipment... :)
Sorry for my bad english and thanks to all the people that will contribute to answer.

PS. i still don't have a lathe :banghead:
Artemisius

Re: can you teach me a method to adorn a pipe stem with a metal pipe ring?

Post by Artemisius »

with metal pipe ring i mean what we italians call "veretta", you can write it on google images if it is not clear in english. again, sorry for my english
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

There are two ways that a metal band or ring goes on a shank.
1) the band fits over the shank and is proud of the shank and stem. A lot of pipe repairs are done this way. It requires that you have a stock of different sized bands so that you can select one of proper size.
2) the second way is to relieve the shank so that the band is flush with the surface of the shank and stem. I only know how to do this with a lathe. I suppose that you can reduce the shank with a file, but that would require some careful hand work.
This was done with a home made pin gauge
Finished. The polished silver has stained the wood. I later learned to mask the shank.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Artemisius

Post by Artemisius »

THANK YOU DOC AITCH! i'm sorry for my late answer but i didn't see that you had answered me. Thanks a lot, really helpful!