What tools do I need to buy to make pipes?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Kooky

Re: What tools do I need to buy to make pipes?

Post by Kooky »

Can anyone help me out with understanding the differences between lathes? I have done all my woodworking solely by hand, Japanese saws, hand planes, chisels, hammers, bit brace, you name it. I am buying a number of axes for felling trees and carpentry, plus a froe for wood shingles.

I have absolutely zero shop experience but it seems like in order to be anything in pipe making you pretty much need a metal lathe, which I have no idea about.

I am looking to save up for a Precision Matthews lathe, I am 100% a buy once, cry once type of person, no way around it, and American made when possible but that seems to be out of the question. Is there sort of a standard, "best seller" PM lathe used for pipe making?

For now I am going to acquire a set of carving tools to supplement my files for these pre-drilled briar blocks. I wish it were possible to make desirable pipes with only non-electric gear.

Regards
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Kooky wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am I wish it were possible to make desirable pipes with only non-electric gear.
It is totally possible. In fact, some might argue that that is the best skill builder..... and it's slow.... and inefficient. But possible.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Kooky

Post by Kooky »

seamonster wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm
Kooky wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am I wish it were possible to make desirable pipes with only non-electric gear.
It is totally possible. In fact, some might argue that that is the best skill builder..... and it's slow.... and inefficient. But possible.
Perhaps it's hard because I don't have simple carving tools yet as it wasn't my focus.. Perhaps if I get a small set of carving focused tools it will help.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A dremel type tool and a sanding motor and disc will be much more useful than carving tools.
Kooky

Post by Kooky »

caskwith wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:44 pm A dremel type tool and a sanding motor and disc will be much more useful than carving tools.
I have a Dremel actually, just never use it. Will check out the rest.