Full-panel S. Bang billiard re-stem

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Full-panel S. Bang billiard re-stem

Post by LatakiaLover »

A rare piece. Top carvers rarely mess with the "total panel" thing because it's so time consuming to get exactly right. Meaning they have to choose between losing money or dinging their reputation. Once in a while (maybe a commission?) they appear, though, unicorn style:

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Re: Full-panel S. Bang billiard re-stem

Post by sandahlpipe »

That’s immaculate work. I definitely would turn that work in your direction. Your patience must rival that of the person who writes the alphabet on a grain of rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Holy Moly! I love panels, but they are a royal pain to make and an even more royal pain to repair. Excellent work, as usual.
SLCarrico

Post by SLCarrico »

Perfect.
JMG

Post by JMG »

A really well done panel is my favorite. It's my unicorn pipe. Hope to find one for myself one day that's not a million bucks. Absolutely stellar work, George. I truly believe you are the best at what you do.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Excellent work George. It reminds me of a documentary I watched about the experts who restore/repair works of art by da Vinci. Just thinking about getting a file anywhere near that shank makes me pucker. I really admire your steady hands and nerves of steel.
n80

Post by n80 »

George, your stem work fills me with despair! ;-) It is good for a beginner to have something to aim for but I can't imagine making a stem that fine. Time to watch more of your videos.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Looking at the comparison of the two stems, I see that George’s effort is much more precise and crisp. The gleam lines marking the boundary of the side panels to the top are dead straight while those of the original are curved outward, indicating some belly in the mid stem. The boundaries are also sharper/cleaner indicating more care with the sanding and buffing.
All in all, the new stem fits the crisp lines of the stummel better that the original.
Awesome work, George.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Doc -- Just today I was lamenting that so few people notice the small stuff while I am powerless to ignore it. (There's a fair amount of curse built into such hardwiring... the primary payback is that the satisfaction of pulling it off on especially tough cases is inversely proportional to the despair.)

Thanks for applying your doctor's eye, Doc. :D
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

LatakiaLover wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:20 pm A rare piece. Top carvers rarely mess with the "total panel" thing because it's so time consuming to get exactly right. Meaning they have to choose between losing money or dinging their reputation. Once in a while (maybe a commission?) they appear, though, unicorn style:
Here's another unicorn by a different top maker.

I actually like the Bang better than this one, but the difficulty is the same.

Current bid is over $2K with a week to go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373957580621?h ... SwUmZiH6Je