Shop Fox m1049 9x19

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
CKelly

Shop Fox m1049 9x19

Post by CKelly »

Hi guys, I just purchased a Shop Fox 9x19 lathe, it is getting delivered today. I'm looking for any advice regarding breaking it in and procedures to be done before use.

Thanks 🙏
UnderShade

Re: Shop Fox m1049 9x19

Post by UnderShade »

When I got mine, the instructions recommended running each speed in forward and reverse for 10 minutes. Also, be sure to keep it well oiled. Just read the instructions and you should be good to go. Congrats on your new machine!
CKelly

Post by CKelly »

Thank you! Going to get some oil for it now.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Yep. After that initial break in, its up to you to figure out how to use it. When I got my first lathe, I didn’t realize that I had to move the tailstock to accommodate different length materials, or that the tools had to be shimmed or adjusted to make a decent cut.😀
Look at some You Tube videos on basic lathe operations, and try practice cuts and shapes with inexpensive materials. Learn about cutting speeds and angles for various materials , and learn what bit shapes suit your intended operations.
Expect to spend a few dollars on more tooling.
Throwing an expensive piece of rod on and attempting to drill it and cut a tenon is not a recommended starting point, nor is using a $70 plateau block for the first attempt at turning.😀
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Also, the first bit of tooling I would recommend is a quick change tool post. Littlemachineshop.com is the place!
CKelly

Post by CKelly »

Thank you! Mine came with a quick change tool post, my issue at the moment is setting up a chuck for turning the stummel. I think I need a nova chuck (I bought the jaws from Vermont freehand) I'm just having trouble finding an adapter to fit my m39 x 4 spindle to the one inch Nova chuck.