Pipe #12. Another billiard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

Pipe #12. Another billiard.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

This is my latest billiard attempt. I've tried my best to apply all the tips and comments you guys have shared. 2-3 degree cant of the bowl. 1-2 degree shank taper. A less "fist" like stummel, hopefully a little more graceful and shaped appropriately.
I know the stem taper needs some work, it really is difficult getting that part correct!

I hope this shows progression! Thank you all so much for taking the time to write genuine critiques and comments.
As always, any further critique or comments are welcomed!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.06.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.06.49 PM.png (311.71 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.43 PM.png (273.29 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.22 PM.png (183.34 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 4.07.03 PM.png (310.06 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
LatakiaLover

Re: Pipe #12. Another billiard.

Post by LatakiaLover »

Mucher gooder. :D

The unequal hardness of briar and stem material caused you to "hourglass" the shank, though, and you tried to achieve a straight line on the sides of the stem by sanding/shaping lengthwise.

The first problem is easy to avoid with a TIGHT (stretch it) wrap of Scotch tape (the matte variety, not the shiny stuff) around the shank; and the second by shaping sideways (with 90-ish degree) strokes instead of lengthwise ones (yes, it's counterintuitive)

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brownleafbeardsman

Ahh, I see! Thank you Lat, I will work on getting those lines parallel in my next attempt!

And when you say a wrap of scotch tape, you mean while I am sanding up in the higher grits with pipe fully assembled, correct? Just want to verify I am understanding correctly! Thanks again.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yes. Use something heavier like hockey tape during coarse grit shaping, and Scotch tape during finish sanding. Any time soft wood butts up against a harder material and a "level" surface is the goal, tape the wood at every stage/grit until 400 or 600 is reached.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brownleafbeardsman

Thank you. I will make sure to take that advice and use it from now on, it's something I hadn't really thought of. I was so focused on trying to get the cant and the taper of the shank where they should be, that I guess I had neglected to think about how the side lines should be!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There's about 400 details like this in a billiard, you can't possibly assess, process, and reproduce them without a) guidance and b) practice. The simplicity of the shape is utterly real, and utterly illusory.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

I can definitely see why it is what so many recommend to start learning early on. The simplicity is not so simple after all!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

I am in no way qualified to make any comment here other than, WOW! I'm really impressed with your progress. Being in a similar situation myself, but no where near as progressed as yourself, I take off my hat to you!
Keep going man! Well done indeed.
brownleafbeardsman

Thank you, Shikano. That is nice of you to say. We'll both keep progressing! I'm enjoying seeing yours as well, friend!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Definitely your best billiard so far. You're really dialing it in. The proportions of this one are within the realm of a decent billiard. That being said, if you're shooting for perfection, the bowl appears to me that it could stand to have a bit more material taken off. Compared to the thickness of the shank, the bowl is slightly heavy in appearance. The shank is a touch long in comparison to the height of the bowl. The heaviness of the bowl and the length of the shank create an illusion that the pipe is almost a pot shape. On a straight billiard, the height of the bowl from the top of the shank should equal the top of the shank from the face of the bowl. This is the fine detail that Sas referred to that if you don't nail them, it shows and messes with the overall balance of a billiard. You are super close though. This is still a nice pipe. Nice job!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
brownleafbeardsman

Thanks very much, Wayne. I see what you mean about those little details. I'm really trying to get that more graceful appearance of a true billiard! I'm working on one now that I am excited to show you guys. I'm feeling a bit more confident as I am making them, and starting to see what you guys are talking about as I do.
I'll try my best to keep this trend going and making small progressions on each one.
The height of bowl = length of shank, and working on the heaviness of the bowl.
Thank you for your honest critique, and for the kind words.

To be truthful, I didn't like billiards very much when I had started pipe smoking. Following the recommendations here, and trying to learn how to make such a classic shape, has given me an entirely newfound appreciation for them. I will keep trying to progress.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I just wanted to say it's been fun watching your progress. It's nice to have someone take the advice to heart and come back with a new pipe utilizing all that advice. You're welcome in my shop anytime.
brownleafbeardsman

It would be quite the honor to be able to learn even a small amount in an artisan's shop! Thank you.
I'll keep going and trying to master these classics with everyone's help. I know how much sound advice is worth. And when you guys take the time out of your day to write responses, I feel like it is only right to do my part and try to put it into practice. Thank you, Ocelot.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

brownleafbeardsman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 pm It would be quite the honor to be able to learn even a small amount in an artisan's shop! Thank you.
I'll keep going and trying to master these classics with everyone's help. I know how much sound advice is worth. And when you guys take the time out of your day to write responses, I feel like it is only right to do my part and try to put it into practice. Thank you, Ocelot.
If you're itchin to improve your craft and what to make a road trip, the NASPC show in August here in Columbus would be a great opportunity. You could look at a ton of good pipes and there are several top level carvers in the area I'm sure would be happy to show you a thing or two. Just planting a seed.
brownleafbeardsman

I have been doing a lot of research on the pipe shows. To be honest, it would be an amazing trip to take with my wife and daughter. See some sights with them, and they can take a day out together and I could visit a pipe show. We don't have money saved up for a trip like that right now as we are a fairly young family, but that would definitely be something to start saving now for, and do that next year and the years after. I don't have any plan on dropping pipe making. To be honest I have never picked up a hobby and felt this way when I am doing it, pure joy. So, hopefully next year, my friend! Thank you for the great recommendations.