Little short of a Lovat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Maddwarf69

Little short of a Lovat

Post by Maddwarf69 »

If I'd had just a little more shank to work with. Again, I didn't make the stem, though I did massage it some. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
seamonster

Re: Little short of a Lovat

Post by seamonster »

That, there, is a dublin with a funny haircut.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

seamonster wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:24 pm That, there, is a dublin with a funny haircut.
Really? I don't see it.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

Yeah, I see the profile of the bowl is off. Not arguing, just trying to learn. I should have had the apex of the curve much lower. I also see that my picture does exaggerate the problem too. The pipe is leaning towards the bowl. Holding it level with George's sketch framing the bowl, the back of the bowl is pretty close. I'll keep this one as a smoker, and adjust my aim on the next one.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

When you have the top of a bowl wider than the bottom, that's a dublin.
They way that you stretched out the front rim of the bowl made the top line go not perpendicular to the axis of the chamber, it looks like it has been flattened towards the stem.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

seamonster wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm When you have the top of a bowl wider than the bottom, that's a dublin.
They way that you stretched out the front rim of the bowl made the top line go not perpendicular to the axis of the chamber, it looks like it has been flattened towards the stem.
Thanks. I've been pouring over diagrams and descriptions lol. The rim isn't actually the widest point of the bowl, but the widest point is only about a 1/4' down, Still way to high, but that's why I didn't see Dublin. From what I've seen/read, the widest point of the bowl should be at the midpoint? Maybe a skosh lower? I've started a billiard, and printed the Bill Burney diagram from pipedia for a reference. Maybe with a constant point of reference, and less pipe fitter ham-fistedness on the sander, I can come closer to the mark.
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

Is this a little more like it?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Definitely better although proportion-wise it's a bit short and fat like an apple or a pot but still within the realm of a billiard.

Another suggestion on the saddle: a more acute cut looks cleaner and more professional. Gradual ramping comes off as lacking the properly rounded tool to make the cut.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Maddwarf69

Post by Maddwarf69 »

wdteipen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm Definitely better although proportion-wise it's a bit short and fat like an apple or a pot but still within the realm of a billiard.

Another suggestion on the saddle: a more acute cut looks cleaner and more professional. Gradual ramping comes off as lacking the properly rounded tool to make the cut.
Thanks Wayne. It is a bit short, just what I had to work with. The saddle needs a lot more work that the picture doesn't show. On hold due to life "stuff" for now.