My third pipe, completed. An attempt at a Lovat.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

My third pipe, completed. An attempt at a Lovat.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

As per instructions by LatakiaLover and many previous posts on this forum, I wanted to attempt a recreation of a classic style pipe, instead of just going with the flow while carving and shaping and deciding what style it looked like after. This is an attempt to recreate my Lovat 701 Unfinished Series III pipe. A picture has been included for reference.

I'm encouraged by the results of this pipe, I cannot wait to keep learning and creating. On my 2nd pipe post, the junction between the stem and shank wasn't so good, I had removed the pipe from the lathe, and shaped the two pieces separately, which resulted in the divot between them. I changed that step completely and happy to say that issue wasn't present here.

I've tried my best to take the things I've read here to heart.
I did make this from an plateau block, and I decided to leave the natural rim on the bowl, just as an experiment to see how that would come out with a heavy stain.

I can see several things I could've done much better in;
I sanded this for a very long time, and wiped it with a paper towel between grits to make sure that there were no deep scratches visible, I guess it wasn't enough. There are several scratches on the front of the tobacco chamber that I'm assuming came from my rasp. :/
The bottom of the bowl should've been much more round.
The stummel in general should've been a more oval shape, instead of cylindrical.
I'm not sure if the shank was thick enough to give the pipe a balanced appearance.
Where the shank turns into bowl, the junction there is not as it should be. I found it very hard to get that part right.

Any brutally honest feedback is very appreciated. Thank you for looking.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.40.47 PM.png
(588.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.40.33 PM.png
(616.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.45.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.45.03 PM.png (266 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.41.02 PM.png
(626.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.44.02 PM.png
(958.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by brownleafbeardsman on Sat May 01, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch

Re: My third briar pipe, complete. An attempt at a Lovat.

Post by Sasquatch »

Biggest thing with any of these classic straight pipes is you don't want any bowl sagging below the line established by the shank, it always looks bulbous. Put a file on the bottom of the pipe and you can see.

See that light gap on the bottom of the pipe? Work that out.

Then things end up nice and tight, and very "classic english"

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Re: My third briar pipe, complete. An attempt at a Lovat.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Thank you, Sasquatch. I'll keep that in mind from now on, that should help as I'm currently working on a billiard! I would've probably had it sagging the same way if not for this reply. Great advice.