My first billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
amnell

My first billiard

Post by amnell »

I absolutely get the feedback you give to many new pipe makers; that they should start with classic shapes. So, gentlemen, it’s time to critique my first billiard [emoji846]

Length: 131mm/5.17”
Height: 53mm/2.12”
Width: 39mm/1.5”
Chamber depth: 45mm/1.8”
Chamber width: 19mm
Est. weight: 50gr

As you can see I stumbled upon quite a pit in the bowl. It started with 4 smaller pits and a crack like pit on the outside and when i drilled the chamber the mother of cracks appeared. As a beginner that’s no reason to stop working on the pipe to build some skill. I really managed to hide the outer pits, but with the one in the chamber this will stay with me.

Quite some challenges with the stem. The curves of a successful saddle is hard to hit. Not to mention sanding the curve. I’m really happy with the button slit thou. Definently my best yet.

The other big challenge is definently the shaping of the bowl. For a while I felt like I were working on an egg and later a brandy. Hopefully I managed to remove enough belly(?)/width to make it an acceptable billiard. Or is it maby a brandy billiard? [emoji3]

Last edited by amnell on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odissey

Re: My first billiard

Post by Odissey »

For this work, there is nothing to criticize you for. The junction line between the shank and the bowl could have been better drawn. Everything else is a matter of taste and personal preference.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I would have made the bottom line from shank to bowl straight (with no dip downward), removed more material at the shank/bowl junction and would have sanded those scratches off the left side of the bowl before staining. Also, that pit will burn through eventually. That said, this is a nice pipe. Keep it up!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Too bad about that nasty gash, what a huge one.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
amnell

Post by amnell »

UnderShade wrote:I would have made the bottom line from shank to bowl straight (with no dip downward), removed more material at the shank/bowl junction and would have sanded those scratches off the left side of the bowl before staining. Also, that pit will burn through eventually. That said, this is a nice pipe. Keep it up!
Thanks! Great feedback [emoji106]
The pipe is actually straight at the bottom, but with even the slightest tilt it looks like a small dip. Maby should’ve removed a little bit more material at the bottom as well as the junction to help with that.
I’ll put more effort into the sanding/finishing also, to prevent the scratches. Any recommendations to spot them early?
amnell

Post by amnell »

Sasquatch wrote:Too bad about that nasty gash, what a huge one.
Yea it sucks. Makes it a bit hard to keep focusing at doing your best when you know you’re just going to keep the pipe to yourself [emoji846]
At least it gives me the possibility to do some testing with filling techniques. This time water glass combined with activated charcoal.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Some like to stain with light brown, sand, then inspect. The stain will stay in the scratches not removed. They will then move up in grades, staining as they go up. I just use really good lighting and sand until I don't see any scratches and don't have any problems. Dust in the the scratches will show up in the same way that the aforementioned stain can highlight them. You just have to rub the dust around to see them.