Hiya, Gang!

Tell us who you are.
RyanAK

Hiya, Gang!

Post by RyanAK »

Hi, Gang. Nice to finally post and get started after quite some time reading here. I hope it'll be a fun journey.

Ryan Sabo, 42yo from Central Pennsylvania. I've been smoking a pipe for just around 7 years now, and my maker-mindset has finally grabbed hold. So... here I am.

My main craft is making bamboo fly rods. When I decided I enjoyed how bamboo rods fished, I dug in and started studying the craft, tooled up, and went at it. I'm an endless student, and I've had the good fortune to own some really fine examples of classic rods to fish... but especially learn from. Each rod by a historic maker has taught me something about design, construction, quality... or the maker's personality. My rodmaking journey has been filled with endless curiosity and perfecting design and process. I hope to bring the same traits to making pipes.

No pipes yet... but I've been studying up and organizing my initial process. I've also fooled around with some briar and ebonite rod over the last 8 or 9 months just to get a feel for the material. I did much the same when I was starting with bamboo. Before I ever planned a strip, I studied the materials and got comfortable with them and then, with advice and guidance from established makers, established process for manipulating them into a fly rod. I'm now on my way to building additional jigs and machines to refine my workflow.

Tooling... right now I have a motor with discs set up for shaping. I have a barely adequate benchtop band saw. I have a barely adequate benchtop drill press... though I have constructed a jig and my drilling/facing facing practice has gone well - draught hole right in the bottom of the chamber. This is sort of a semi-freehand process involving a pin centered under the bit and lines/marks on the block similar to "shape before drill". I've also profiled and sharpened spade bits and feel comfortable with their use and the results in briar.

My lathe... is a Sherline. :roll: This is barely adequate for my rodmaking and totally worthless for any stummel work. It should be, however, pretty nifty for stems and bamboo shanks. I've done a 2-knuckle bamboo shank with stainless tenons and ebonite trim rings all faced, flush-fitting and straight. No bowl to stick in on though! Like I said... I like to get to know my materials and tools by doing small breakout processes.

I nearly bought a 10" Logan in good nick, but I value my wife much more than another vintage machine. 8)

Doesn't keep me from looking for a good classic lathe though...

Also fairly well stocked up on files, small (tiny) carving chisels and gouges, Dremmel with flex-shaft, etc. You know... all the usual implements of destruction.

So... there ya have it. I appreciate the experience that's here and hope to be a good and respectful student. At my core, I'm a maker. And I hope that one day, with work and close study, I'll make really fine pipes.

Cheers,
Ryan