4th Pipe - Churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BriarJoe

4th Pipe - Churchwarden

Post by BriarJoe »

Well, with Christmas coming I had decided to have a go at a churchwarden for a gift, and this was the result. It's the first time I've tried a bowl top with the plateau grain, and while I like the look of it I'm not quite sure i like how the finish on it turned out. I put several coats of thinned shellac on it, and I think it looks overvarnished or something. The rest of the pipe was treated with normal stain and buffing, with the stem being premolded ebonite.

I had an more rounded shape in mind when i drew the pipe out, but with the making of it it turned into something different, which I still rather like. This being my fourth pipe I know there's plenty off shapewise, and i don't have the stem-shank connection very perfect at all. Plus there is a small crack at the shank-stem junction (9th photo.)I filled it with super glue and sanded it off, and I'm not sure thats the proper way to do it, but it worked. Give me as many corrections as you like, the more the merrier.

In terms of the quality of the pipe, what would be an honest price for it (without the cracked stummel)? I made it as a gift and so it is, but several acquaintances have wanted some and I'd like to get a proper price for this quality without overcharging.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Attachments
5.jpg
(252.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4.jpg
(364.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.jpg
(265.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
(299.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.jpg
(295.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BriarJoe

Re: 4th Pipe - Churchwarden

Post by BriarJoe »

And the rest:
Attachments
9.jpg
(309.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
8.jpg
(343.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
7.jpg
(347.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
6.jpg
(245.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I think it is a nice piece. That being said, I'll tell you what catches my eye...
The bowl/shank junction needs more material removed to make the "elbow" deeper. This was a reoccurring problem for me on my first few pipes. This will make the bowl look a little taller as well. The other main thing that sticks out to me (as you mentioned) is the stem/shank transition. I like that to be SEAMLESS. I have collets and a metal lathe, so that makes getting a flush shoulder on the stem a lot easier than trying to do it by hand.The rest is sand-by-hand work. As far as a price goes...that's something you'll have to determine on your own. My first few pipes when for like...$50 or something. Keep up the good work!
BriarJoe

Post by BriarJoe »

Yes, thats a good point about deepening that elbow and i see what you mean. I haven't really used my wood lathe yet due to lack of chucks, but I'm trying to get it set up so hopefully my next few stems and shanks will turn out better. I've been reading a TON on here and while I knew there would be a lot of helpful stuff, I'm still amazed and fascinated by it all. Anyway, thanks for the tips!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I would not sell a pipe of this quality. You will trash your name.
You still have a way to go before that level is reached. As an example the stem/shank junction is screaming “beginner”.
This pipe is likely a decent smoke, and your friends will probably be happy to have it, but outside of that limited audience, you will not have a market.
If a friend insists on commissioning a pipe, charge him only for the cost of materials.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
BriarJoe

Post by BriarJoe »

Thanks Doc; thats sound advice and I think I'll try to go with that. I find that after I make a new pipe I think it looks really good and all the bad points of my past pipes really stand out, but I should know enough that this pipe won't look so good either after I make my next one. Quite a beginner sort of perspective I guess! :lol: