Cpederson

Tell us who you are.
Cpederson

Cpederson

Post by Cpederson »

Years a pipe smoker: 1 year. My Uncle smoked a pipe for years and years, I finally couldn't resist any longer.
How you got into pipe making: I love looking at all the creative artistry of pipe making. Pipe makers are inspiring!! I had to know how it was done, and there is not much out there on the web. I just had to give it a try. When I get involved in something new, I have to jump fully in. I bought a pre-drilled kit, grabbed my files, rasps and coping saw and went to work. I ended up using a dremel and a die grinder also. I cannot believe the peace (even through rookie nerves) that making and smoking a pipe brings. I am in the last finishing stages of my first freehand (seemed a smarter first choice) and I want to learn and every pipe to be a better than the previous. I want to learn!!!!!!!!!
Other interesting facts: Pastor/Realtor/husband/father/musician.

Blessings all - I hope to learn from you

Cp
DocAitch

Re: Cpederson

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome to the forum. You will find the majority of your questions that develop during your attempts already discussed on the forum. Try the search function first.
Post pictures of your work when you are ready for a critique.
I will tell you that there is a strong sentiment on this forum that you should participate in the “Make a Billiard School”.
Although it may sound silly to have these lovely materials and to have some one tell you to make a prosaic old billiard, there are very good reasons to do so. Every technique and skill that you develop to make a billiard is transferable to the free hand.
Also, the billiard has very well defined standards and the participants on this forum can quickly spot and critique where you deviate and suggest corrections. A problematic freehand may exceed the critiquer’s “vocabulary” (and patience) and you may receive a non helpful critique that includes the phrase “polished rock”.
George Dibos (Latakia Lover here) recently posted about how learning to use your tools properly when you copy and existing shape is the most valuable thing you will learn here.
When you post in the Gallery, you will also gain insights on aesthetics- line surface, balance that might take you forever to learn on your own.
again,
Welcome.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Cpederson

Post by Cpederson »

DocAitch wrote:Welcome to the forum. You will find the majority of your questions that develop during your attempts already discussed on the forum. Try the search function first.
Post pictures of your work when you are ready for a critique.
I will tell you that there is a strong sentiment on this forum that you should participate in the “Make a Billiard School”.
Although it may sound silly to have these lovely materials and to have some one tell you to make a prosaic old billiard, there are very good reasons to do so. Every technique and skill that you develop to make a billiard is transferable to the free hand.
Also, the billiard has very well defined standards and the participants on this forum can quickly spot and critique where you deviate and suggest corrections. A problematic freehand may exceed the critiquer’s “vocabulary” (and patience) and you may receive a non helpful critique that includes the phrase “polished rock”.
George Dibos (Latakia Lover here) recently posted about how learning to use your tools properly when you copy and existing shape is the most valuable thing you will learn here.
When you post in the Gallery, you will also gain insights on aesthetics- line surface, balance that might take you forever to learn on your own.
again,
Welcome.
DocAitch
Thanks for the insight! I will check out Dibos, and I will definitely be trying to improve my skills and I know a billiard is tried and true. It seems that it would be really tough to get crisp defined “billiard” shapes without a lathe. But I guess just practice and honing your skills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I don’t turn stummels on a lathe.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Cpederson

Cpederson

Post by Cpederson »

Thanks again for the advice!
Last edited by Cpederson on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpederson

Post by Cpederson »

DocAitch wrote:I don’t turn stummels on a lathe.
DocAitch
Very encouraging to hear that. I can’t wait to try! That Billiard looks beautiful also. Thanks again for the welcome and the advice. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk