Second attempt at bent billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
luttrell31

Second attempt at bent billiard

Post by luttrell31 »

I think this one is a little better than my last attempt..... I hope lol. I still have a lot of learning to do but let me know what you guys think. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_07092020_214607_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(112.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_07092020_214647_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(115.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_07092020_214745_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(192.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_07092020_214755_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(166.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_07092020_214813_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(154.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
UnderShade

Re: Second attempt at bent billiard

Post by UnderShade »

Not a bad go! I see a few things that could be improved upon:

Starting with your stem- inconsistent tapering is causing it to look a bit "lumpy" in spots. When I make a bent, I'll sand the stem to about 800, heat/bend, then sand any high spots with the same grit. Then I go to 1000, then buff.

The shank- the end of your shank looks a little small for the bowl size, to my eye. Also, you have a noticeable difference in diameter between the shoulder of the stem and the beginning of the shank. I try to make that as smooth of a transition as possible.

The bowl- Your rim and chamber look pretty concentric- a bit of a high spot on the right side (Smoker's left). The sides (from the head-on view) look a little flat. I try to employ a little more in the way of curvature, though I've seen some billiards with fairly straight sides.
A little more material could be removed from the back of the bowl (right above the elbow), as well as some from the whole underside of the pipe, (about half-way down the shank to the chin). Hopefully, George will chime in with his handy-dandy marking tool and expand on these points.

Aesthetically, I'm not much for rustication, but that's my personal preference. Good work and keep making pipes!!!
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. Hopefully he will draw me some lines to give me some more perspective.

I took another picture of the bowl rim because the previous picture was awful and I think made it look worse than it is. Although my rustication certainly lowers one side a smidge. Thank you again.
Attachments
IMG_08092020_200246_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
(140.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Nice work with briar. Nice finish. Seamless joint of the shank with the stem. I really appreciate this.
It is not entirely clear what happened to the smoke channel. The photo is not clear.
All in all a pretty good job. Almost at the junction with the shank, the lower line of the stem sags slightly, it must be raised.
If I were making a tube like this, I would bend the shank more and make it a little thicker at the point where the stem joins.

Best regards, Odissey
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Thank you, I appreciate the input.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The most notable area for improvement that I see is the shank. It thins out a bit too much and pinches in between the bowl and the stem. The stem could stand to have more material taken off. I like the rustication but I think you should have rusticated the entire pipe since the grain is not all that spectacular. The rest is just practice dialing in the shape. It's a good second bent billiard. Keep at it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
luttrell31

Post by luttrell31 »

Thank you, hopefully I can improve my next one.