New lathe. Size matters? - Please help!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Smoky Bear

New lathe. Size matters? - Please help!

Post by Smoky Bear »

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum so if the question I'm asking has already been asked a million times I apologize in advance.

I've decided to pick up a lathe this week...

I'm 99% sure I'm going with a wood lathe. This because of space, price and because I think the only thing that will be hard to do on a wood lathe (in terms of pipe making) is tenon cutting and things like caps, extensions etc. (I'm happy to use derlin while I practice my tenon cutting skills)

The two lathes I'm considering are a Jet 1221 VS and a Jet 1015 VS. The main reason I'm debating between the two is because of space. Price is secondary. Does anyone have experience working on these machines, or machines of a similar size? Also, am I missing anything regarding metal vs wood lathes? Have I left something out that metal makes so much easier?

p.s. I know I need tooling. I"m factoring that in.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Jet 1015 https://www.rockler.com/jet-jwl-1015vs- ... gKV3PD_BwE

Jet 1221 https://www.rockler.com/jet-1221vs-12-x ... gI2FfD_BwE
seamonster

Re: New lathe. Size matters? - Please help!

Post by seamonster »

That big one is more expensive than the atlas metal lathe I got that was in great condition.....

If the lathe will be primarily for pipe making, I'd get a metal lathe.

If you have plans to turn table legs, etc, then maybe the wood last is more practical.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I agree with Seamonster. If you can hold out, it's possible to find a used metal lathe in descent shape, at a descent price. I wouldn't go smaller than a 9 X 20. I got my Grizzly G4000 for $1500. Changed my game, man. Be prepared to drop $$$ on tooling. Good luck!
Smoky Bear

Post by Smoky Bear »

Thanks for the responses guys. Definitely two strong endorsements for metal lathes.

Are you turning stumbles on your lathes?

Under shade. You mentioned your Grizzlyg4000 being a game changer. What was it a game changer from? Were you on a wooden lathe previously and once you switched you found you could do "x" that you couldn't do before?. Just trying to understand.

Thanks.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I do turn stummels on my metal lathe. My first lathe was a Central Machinery 12X18 wood lathe that I still use (mainly for my shaping wheel and buffing mandrel). The game changer is the precision and repeatability of the cross slide and tool post of a metal lathe. Anything I can do on my wood lathe can be done on my G4000, plus I can turn metal bands and brass rings for military mounts. That makes it worth the price IMO. If you can afford both, then get both. If you can only get one, get a metal lathe. I mean, you totally can do what you need on a wood lathe with practice though. I've seen BEAUTIFUL pipes made with only hand tools, only wood lathes and only metal lathes. Use what you have and can afford.
Smoky Bear

Post by Smoky Bear »

Thanks. That was extremely helpful. There's actually some decent pricing on the g4000 right now. What specific tooling would I need right away to do everything? Im assuming quick change tool post, carbide bits, chuck and jaws and drill chuck? Am I missing anything? I like the Grizzlt because it seems like a good size for my limited space and if I can turn stunnels on it as well it's a no brainer. For what it's worth I'm almost done with pupe number 1 made on a drill press and belt sander, so I'm definitely ready to make the process easier :). Thanks again.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I've had no luck with carbide. I've found high speed steel blanks cut both wood and ebonite better, and offer much more flexibility because you can grind them to virtually any shape.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Smoky Bear

Post by Smoky Bear »

Thanks Seamonater. Very helpful. This is all brand new to me the pipe I'm currently working on is the most work with tools I've ever done. Lol. Every 1 step for you guys is 4 steps and several mistakes for me. I'm loving it though:). Sorry if my questions seem especially ignorant.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

I concur with Seamonster. HSS blanks are the way to go for me. Littlemachineshop.com has good tooling/prices. I have a Nova G3 chuck and jaws form Vermont Freehand (I just chuck the Nova in the 3 Jaw that came with the G4000). A good Jacobs chuck is a must as well (MT2). Don't let the size fool you- that lathe is over 300 lbs. You'll need help moving it, but it still must be mounted. Hope this helps.
howellhandmade

Post by howellhandmade »

Carbide has its place. HSS excels for form tools but I use carbide a lot. Metal lathe all the way.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

For anyone who doesn't know Jack Howell's interests and reputation, he is a world-class authority on one technical subject, and a national-class one on several others. Lathes and lathe use & restoration is one of them.

He is also incurably humble and unassuming.

Listen to whatever he says. You'll be glad you did. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.